Red peak pass bypass from illouette creek--ottaway area

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
rlemmer
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Red peak pass bypass from illouette creek--ottaway area

Post by rlemmer »

Red peak pass looks tough from previous report so looking for info on the bypass over Merced Pass to Fernandes Pass to Post Peak Pass near Isberg Pass. Expect snow but hope for easier travel---leaving late this week. Any thoughts
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Re: Red peak pass bypass from illouette creek--ottaway area

Post by bobby49 »

I was up there a few years ago. I went from the Mono Meadow TH up to lower Ottoway Lake. Then I went up to the pass from that side and did not descend to Edna Lake. I would expect there to be some snow hanging on the Edna Lake side of the pass.

One year we went from TM to Isberg Pass, then over Post Peak Pass. We came back into the park over Fernandez Pass and Merced Pass, then over Red Peak Pass.
brownbat
Topix Acquainted

Re: Red peak pass bypass from illouette creek--ottaway area

Post by brownbat »

I went over red peak pass on 8/13:

It was fine on the ottoway side - some snow drifts over trail that were easily marched over or could be avoided with a brief scramble up some loose soil/rock.

On the other side it was still pretty socked with a mix of snow and exposed trail, but with one very steep, exposed snow chute right off the bat. There was a fellow who was just ahead of me who opted to march across the snow chute. I didn't like that much exposure so instead took what was probably a harder option - scrambling down some steep talus till I got to a snow bank that was only about a 10' drop down to an exposed trail. I was then able to repeat the talus/short snow drops/exposed trail process till I got down to the less steep snow field. From there it was just a stroll across sun cups to get down to the exposed trail.
I had microspikes but no arresting devise. I'm glad I had the spikes even though the snow was pretty tacky/melty.

I also went over post peak and fernandez passes - no issue from snow.