Current Snow from the Valley up to Tuolumne Meadows

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Current Snow from the Valley up to Tuolumne Meadows

Post by Harlen »

C9 writes:
I think more than snow conditions forecasting, I'm more interested in your route. Lots of avalanche terrain along the 120 corridor. My gut instinct just looking at the map is that I'd want to ski up to Sunrise Lakes and roughly take the JMT up to Tuolumne. Adds a mile and 1000 feet of gain, but I'd think the scenery would be better too.
We never sensed any avie danger, though looked carefully all around. There were only insignificant signs- small breakaways on the smooth domes above Tenaya Lake, and one more on the return trip on the slope above Olmstead Pt. [*At least they were "insignificant" to half-ignorant, and hopeful types as us. :thumbsup:]

C9 are you back from the Canadian Rockies? Were are the photos? I'm about to go wrestle with mine. Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.