9 National Forests open back up

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

9 National Forests open back up

Post by c9h13no3 »

Mostly in Northern CA. Stanislaus on up.

The El Dorado has updated their website, others aren’t quite as fast.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
iceboal
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: 9 National Forests open back up

Post by iceboal »

My reservation at the onion valley in October got canceled today. Email says:
A location closure has been issued for ONION VALLEY from Tue, Sep 22, 2020 - Sat, Oct 31, 2020 due to Fire.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: 9 National Forests open back up

Post by c9h13no3 »

iceboal wrote: Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:13 pm My reservation at the onion valley in October got canceled today. Email says:
A location closure has been issued for ONION VALLEY from Tue, Sep 22, 2020 - Sat, Oct 31, 2020 due to Fire.
The Inyo is not one of those opening. Cancelling sh1t in October is kinda nuts too.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

NF Closure Extended

Post by maverick »

Inyo NF:
This morning (9/23), we received direction from the Regional Office that the Forest closure would be extended another week for the 9 Forests that are currently closed. This includes the Inyo National Forest. We anticipate that the new extended closure orders will be signed tomorrow as the current order expires.

The Regional Office decision is based on the continued hot and dry conditions that remain in the forecast for the upcoming week and continued firefighting resources limitations.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org