Open Campgrounds?

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
gardn128
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Open Campgrounds?

Post by gardn128 »

Hello all, I’m looking for a lower altitude campground that’s open next weekend in the Lone Pine to Bishop corridor along 395 to serve as a base camp for some short day hikes in the area. Does anyone know if there is anything open and available this time of year?

Thanks!!!
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Open Campgrounds?

Post by Wandering Daisy »

All campgrounds may be closed due to the new COVID orders, but I believe you could still disperse camp in the Lone Pine area. There are several pull-outs along the road to the BLM Tuttle Creek campground, if that campground is closed. When there last year we saw several RV's parked in these pullouts. The BLM Tuttle Creek campground is usually open in the winter, but water is shut off.
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Hi gardn128,

Last week (Nov 30-Dec3) I camped at the Lone Pine Campground, located near the base of the big switchback on the Whitney Portal Road. It is open and there is no fee. I used it for some activities in the area, including a day hike on Dec 2 to the summit of Mt Whitney.

The campground is in great shape. One night I was the only one there. In fact I saw no other person hiking the Main Mt Whitney Trail. (This is extreme social distancing.)

There a multiple portable restrooms. The water is off, so bring your own or use the creek. Bring your own firewood. I brought my California Fire Permit, in case it is needed. There is a good cell phone connection.

2020 continues to be a crazy year. From Lone Pine, the Sierras to the west looked nearly as dry as the Inyos to the east.

Enjoy your trip.

Jim
gardn128
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by gardn128 »

Jim,

Thanks for the info. Do you think there’s any chance it’s now closed due to shutdown? I’m hoping since it’s not a state campground it will remain open.

Thanks!
Jim F
Topix Regular

Post by Jim F »

Hi gardn128,

Lone Pine Campground is in the Inyo NF. Call 760 873 2400 (INF Office) or 760 873 2483 (INF Wilderness Permit Office) to inquire about the campground status. If you are put on a long hold, also consider inquiring at the Inyo County Sheriff Office at 760 873 7887.

Jim