The Mono Wind event and range of damage

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

The Mono Wind event and range of damage

Post by potatopants »

Hi all, I'm from Illinois, so I've been reading up on Mono Winds. I'm not far from the Windy City but we don't have anything quite like that around here--Just the occasional tornado!

What I've learned from https://www.lessonsofourland.org/wp-con ... oWinds.pdf is that these winds seem to wreak havoc on the western slopes of the Sierra range, and particular affect Yosemite. I've seen the devastation to Mariposa and Wawona and Bass Lake on the news. To face that, and then all that snow, during a pandemic... wow, I really feel for the folks that live in that area.

As I'm getting ready to apply for a Yosemite permit for this summer to explore the southern part of the park in late July, I'm also wondering about downfall on trails as a result of this event. I was planning to go in at Mono Meadows or Glacier Point, but I'm guessing those trails could be in pretty bad shape due.

Since I'm unfamiliar with the range that Mono Winds might impact, I was wondering if areas further east might see less downfall. Would I be doing myself a favor by getting a permit to enter from Tioga Road, for instance? Any insights from past Mono Wind events on how far reaching the impacts tend to be?

Thanks, all, as always, for your thoughts.
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: The Mono Wind event and range of damage

Post by Jim F »

Hi potatopants,

You state that you are planning starting your hike at Mono Meadows or Glacier Point. Perhaps you already know, the road to Glacier Point is now closed until 2022. This closure was planned many months ago for road restoration. Apparently, you will still be able to hike there, however (for example, by the Four Mile Trail from the Valley Floor). There are also other trail approaches to Glacier Point.

Hope 2021 turns out well for your Yosemite adventure.

Jim
TurboHike
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TurboHike »

Jim F,
I read that the road to Glacier Point is scheduled to be closed during all of 2022 for restoration, and then open in 2023 but with delays as the project is finished. Was the restoration moved up in time to now until 2022?
Jim F
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jim F »

TurboHike,

Thanks! Your information on the dates for the Glacier Point Road work are indeed correct (per current YNP website). My posted information is erroneous, and was based on information from last Summer/Fall. The Whitney Portal Road restoration (finally completed a few years ago) kept getting delayed for several seasons. Let's see how Glacier Road plays out.

Jim
potatopants
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by potatopants »

Oof, thanks, that will make the next couple of years pretty interesting! I would love to hike up to Glacier Point when the road is closed and get some more solitude there. :)

Anyway, my goal is to get to Ottaway Lakes and the Middle Fork of the Lyell, poke around, and then loop back along the Merced River. But I could just as easily come in from Lyell Canyon TH, Rafferty Creek TH, or Budd Lake if the southwest trails aren't cleared.

Trail crews are going to have their work cut out for them this year. Wish I could lend a hand!