SEKI NP Stage 3 Fire Restriction Effective 7/1

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI NP Stage 3 Fire Restriction Effective 7/1

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
SEQUOIA AND KINGS CANYON NATIONAL PARKS, Calif. June 28, 2021 – Due to extreme fire danger, record setting temperatures, drought, and commitment of firefighting resources both regionally and nationally, the parks are increasing fire restrictions to Stage 3 – their highest level.

Effective at 12:00 p.m. on July 1, 2021, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks are enacting a parks-wide campfire and smoking ban. This includes all campgrounds, picnic and day-use areas, and wilderness locations inside the parks. There are no exceptions to this change.

“This ban on all campfires in our front-country and wilderness areas is designed to reduce our risk from unwanted human-caused fires during the hottest and driest part of the year,” said Chief John Ziegler, parks’ fire management officer. He added, “We must all do more than before to be extra safe and cautious this year.”

The increased fire restrictions can be summed up to be:

- Wood and charcoal fires (including wood-burning stoves) are illegal at all elevations and locations.
- Employee housing and private property throughout the parks are included.
- Gas, propane, alcohol (with and without a shutoff valve), and tablet/cube stoves are permitted in all areas.
- No smoking at any elevation except within an enclosed vehicle, a building in which smoking is allowed, or a designated smoking area.

These restrictions will remain in effect until conditions in the area have progressed to a point where minimal public hazard remains, as determined by the Parks’ Superintendent.

Also, firefighters and park rangers want to remind the public that fireworks of any kind are strictly illegal in all national parks year-round. Please do not even bring them into the parks during this critical time.

For information on the other fire restriction stage levels, please visit https://go.nps.gov/sekifirerestrictions
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: SEKI NP Stage 3 Fire Restriction Effective 7/1

Post by frozenintime »

is it news that alcohol stoves are allowed? i was under the (possibly false!) impression that under most sierra fire restrictions, alcohol stoves were not legal for most of the year because of the shutoff valve issue.
erutan
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by erutan »

Alcohol stoves are still allowed in stage 3, you can check https://www.nps.gov/seki/learn/nature/f ... ctions.htm (which is where the link at the bottom of the newspiece redirects to).
frozenintime
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by frozenintime »

thank you. i must have my signals crossed to think alcohol stoves weren’t allowed much of the summer in seki. maybe some national forests have bans and i extrapolated? either way, i was just curious — i go stoveless 90% of the time! :)