Weather Alert For The Week Of 7/19

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Weather Alert For The Week Of 7/19

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am going out of Courtright Reservoir (Maxon Meadow) Tuesday and the weather report is for continuing monsoon moisture with 30-40% chance of rain and thunder storms in the afternoons- very much like typical Rocky Mountain weather. I planned on going into Ionian Basin, but if the forecast holds, I will leave it for another time and instead in-and-out to Blue Canyon and Tunemah Lake from Blackcap Basin. We really need the rain so I am not going to wish for better weather; rather I will be prepared to change routes if needed. A little area in Yosemite had a flash flood warning this afternoon. Guess I will bring the rain pants!

I am doing two back-to-back trips so will not have access to internet until after Aug 20. Everyone be safe and have successful trips.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

The next few days with the monsoon moving west will likely be our best chance this summer of putting a dent in droughty High Sierra landscapes. Even if we get significant rains late August and September, by that time most annual or biannual plant species will have ended summer growth shriveling up.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

NWS:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Indeed as was possible in the forecast, the monsoon has made a decent visit to the Sierra this week and is much needed by its life. The below screen capture shows rainfall over the last 3 days or 72 hours over the famous Yosemite Valley area. For whatever reason the gods have apparently felt it needed a good soaking. Usually during these monsoon events, most rains are over high crest areas but not always. Enough rain that many ephemeral waterfalls drain off cliffs for just short periods.
YosemiteValley-cleansing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Monsoonal Flow Possibly Starting Back Up 8/11

Post by maverick »

NWS and Windy are forecasting thunderstorms for next week especially Wednesday on. Be prepared. :)

NWS:
LONG TERM...Monday through Friday.
The 18Z ECMWF and GEFS ensemble depict a fairly persistent southeast or southerly flow to develop from western Arizona up into southern Nevada beginning Monday and continuing much of the week. This is a result of the Four Corners high slowly becoming reestablished Monday through Wednesday then it is forecast to migrate toward central or northern Nevada the second half of the week. This will be favorable for at least low-grade monsoonal moisture to gradually spread up across northwest Arizona into southern Nevada the first part of next week. Once it works its way in, it doesn't appear that it will be going anywhere in the days ahead. This will result in chances for thunderstorms returning to Mohave County as early as Monday and to the southern Nevada mountains and the Mojave National Preserve Tuesday and Wednesday.This is reflected in the latest NBM PoP grids. Chances will remain over these areas through Friday. Coverage may expand a little from day-to-day. Temperatures should be close to normal during then period.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org