Convict Creek trail to Mildred Lake wash outs

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
DannyL
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Convict Creek trail to Mildred Lake wash outs

Post by DannyL »

Just got back from Convict Lake to Mildred Lake trail 8/20-8/22. . Major trail wash out at 4 spots between old bridge creek crossing and Mildred Lake. Difficult with backpacks. No trail left whatsoever at those 4 spots, just loose rock and dirt at severe angle. Some finger and toe hold type stuff. These are very sketchy as this is the part of the trail that goes high up the canyon walls. One slip traversing those washouts and its bye bye. Probably should have turned back but made it to Mildred. On the way back we rigged a rope system to get packs across those washout as it was easier to traverse with no pack. Do not try to take the creek back down. Tried that. Too many impassable drop offs. If you're going to head up that way you must be up for an adventure. Scared the hell out of me.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Convict Creek trail to Mildred Lake wash outs

Post by Harlen »

Thanks for the tip DannyL. We're headed that way with a friend and some dogs in a couple days. Where the former bridge is out, did you stay on the right side of the creek, or cross to the left? It sounds like there may have been some new washouts since Bear and I went that way, as we had little trouble. I don't remember ever needing to be high up the canyon walls, as you say? It's a bit concerning, because we"ll have our small dog, so perhaps we need to take a "dog pack" I've rigged for him?

Were you guys warned of this danger by the ranger staff when you picked up your permit? By the way, how were the smoke conditions up in the basin? Thanks, Ian and Lizzie.
Last edited by Harlen on Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
DannyL
Topix Acquainted

Post by DannyL »

we crossed to the left at former bridge, crossing the creek. Is there a trail that goes on right side of creek? Permits were issued via email but a person in our party spoke to office on phone at time of issuance and no warning. It seems everything I read focused on that bridge wash out and only warns of stream crossing. Smoke was present but not an issue. Was very windy at top. After speaking with others who had no problems about two years ago I do think there has been significant erosion over last couple years. If you give it a go be careful!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Danny,

Thank you for this conditions update. Do you have any photos by any chance? Please call the ranger station and give them a detailed description of the damage and location so that they can warn others heading in. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

From 2020:

The use route above the old bridge on the west side only goes up about 100 yards before that side becomes too brushy, loose, and steep. Used by those afraid of crossing in the standard location that suspect there might be an easier crossing above that is not the case. (like the group of people in my photo) Worst issue is not having to thigh deep wade but the weird extremely slippery brown bacteria growing on all the irregular footing rocks.
DannyL
Topix Acquainted

Post by DannyL »

Unfortunately, I didn't take photos of the damage. Should have. I will call ranger station and give them as much info as possible.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hi DannyL

Just returned from 5 days up Convict Creek, exploring its upper basin wonderlands. We managed the high trail on the east side of Convict Cr. with minimal trouble. Our difficulties lay in the paw pad damage to one of the 4 dog partners, which did affect our plans a bit. As for the washouts, we hiked them with packs without difficulty, but definitely noted the consequences of a tumbling fall. If one faces the slope, and is ready for a potential slip, just flattening out, and gripping with hands, feet, and body friction should keep you attached to the slope and only a little worse for wear. On the final, most critical washout (heading up to M.Lk.), we first made a mistake by choosing what seemed a safer option of crossing about 25' above where the trail is broken by the washout. That made it harder in fact, with more loose, graveling scree to negotiate. On the return trip, we crossed at the trail, and found it much easier. The dogs all scampered across, and we kept our packs, including Lizzie, who was nervous, but stepped lightly across the small gap like the pro ballerina she once was. It was just matter on trusting the grip of your boots for that one small slanted step. Were we perhaps in a different area Danny? That is likely, as folks seem to have made many routes up the canyon; we were on the standard old trail, the highest one up the west-facing slope, east side of the canyon.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
DannyL
Topix Acquainted

Post by DannyL »

Harlan- sounds like you were on the same trail. What I forgot to mention is that we got a very late start onto the trail and by the time we hit those wash outs we were chasing sunlight. Not smart on my part and did make it more challenging. Totally agree on your observations. Leaning heavy into the mountain, "boots don't fail me now!". Other than those 4 spots it is a beautiful trail. Is there a route up the creek after the blown out bridge?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

DannyL:
Other than those 4 spots it is a beautiful trail. Is there a route up the creek after the blown out bridge?
We sure agree on the beauty Danny. We descended the trail in the early morning, and the mountainous Sevehah Cliffs were stunning in that early light.
Many folks choose to ramble around in the creek bed in low water times like this. and we could see fragments of trails on the west side too. Our friend chose to stay in the creek bed with his two big huskies, and one suffered torn pads. A lot of those trails are slatey nightmares aren't they? Thanks for the trail warning, it was good to be ready for it. and a short rope is often handy isn't it?