Post Your 2009 Skeeter Updates.

Questions and reports related to Sierra Nevada current and forecast conditions, as well as general precautions and safety information. Trail conditions, fire/smoke reports, mosquito reports, weather and snow conditions, stream crossing information, and more.
Baffman
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Post Your 2009 Skeeter Updates.

Post by Baffman »

July 6th at Rae Lakes was horrible. Take a head net and plenty of Deet or whatever you prefer.

Oddly, Vidette wasn't that bad. Go figure.
Grzldvt
Topix Acquainted

Post by Grzldvt »

Looking for an update in Yosemite, at any of the High Sierra camps.
Thanks
Steve
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

Weaver lake (Jennie Lakes Wilderness) July 10-12.
3-4 except at high noon. My wife and I used about the amount of deet in three days that I would normaly use in a couple of weeks and still got bit.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

This past weekend the winds blew many of the skeeterz away, but when it was semi-still:

Sonora Pass Area:
Leavitt Lake area (off Sonora Pass): < 2

Hoover Wilderness:
Green Creek/Hoover Lakes Drainage: 2-3
Return Creek/Upper Virginia Creek: 4-5
BLUNTSMYNAME
Topix Newbie

Post by BLUNTSMYNAME »

ANYBODY KNOW THE SKEET CONDITION ABOVE LAKE THOMAS E EDISON, JUST BELOW THE PACIFIC CREST TRAIL? ABOUT THE 9K FEET MARK..
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

July 19; 4 along the South Fork of Cottonwood lakes during the early morning, late morning in the breeze up in the Basin was maybe 1-2, Non- existent during the afternoon deluge.
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Got back last night.
Ashley Lake 3
Minaret Lake 4
Ediza Lake 3
Garnet Lake 3
1000 Is Lake 3
balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

We just got back from five days up on the LeConte Divide out of Courtwright Reservoir. Flowers were stunning, great weather, some amazing fishing, brutal bugs.

North Fork Kings River (8200 ft) on July 17--first time I have ever used a head net. Got into the tent at 8 p.m and watched clouds of them batter the bug screen until after dark. 8
Devil's Punchbowl on (10050 ft) July 18--not bad during the afternoon. THe rest of the day was 7-8. Tiny and persistent. And we camped on out the ridge above the lake, to avoid the worst of it all.
Rae Lake (9900 fot) and Lower Indian Lake *(10,050 ft) , July 19. unbelievable. I caught about seven nice trout in half an hour and then quit fishing because the bugs were so bad at LIL. This was at 3 p.m. with a 15 mph wind! 10! Again, we camped 200 yds. away from the lake towards the breeze...
Post Corral Meadows (8200 ft) , July 20 Bearable during most of the day, and not bad at all in the early morning. But dinner time was exactly that, for them and for us 7+
Trail out to Courtwright on July 21--at least two places, the bugs were so thick that I actually swallowed some as I was hiking along. But only in the swampy places. 7.

Great trip, glad we went. Really glad when we got home and didn't have to wear DEET, long sleeves, head nets, and grimaces.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

BrianF wrote:July 19; 4 along the South Fork of Cottonwood lakes during the early morning, late morning in the breeze up in the Basin was maybe 1-2, Non- existent during the afternoon deluge.
Those where some storms! I got there on the 18th and set up my Contrail just in time to dive into it for a few hours. Sunday I got hit on the way out going the last hour and a half or so through the hail. still it was great trip and the weather seemed to keep the skeeters down.

Whitney trail 20-22 - 0 :D
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
mountaineer
Founding Member

Post by mountaineer »

dang Balzcomm! The scale only goes to 5 and you were experiencing7-8?!

The Le Conte divide is my favorite area. Devil's Punchbowl is spectacular with awesome fishing. Climbing the escarpment above DP is a lot of fun. North Fork is great fishing...love that area!!!!

Now for my mini report...20 Lakes Basin is a 2.