Experts: best hike for beginner to intermediate hikers?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Experts: best hike for beginner to intermediate hikers?

Post by AlmostThere »

I would take them out to Courtright Lake and start at the Cliff Lake trailhead, and hike them to Cliff Lake day one, over the ridge to Dinkey Lakes, camp at Swede or South lake, let them swim and fish and do an easy side jaunt up to Rainbow Lake, hike around the loop and back up to First Dinkey then over the hill to Coyote Lake, onward to Brewer and Tocher, and exit over on Kaiser Pass Road.

Although, as this is all National Forest wilderness area, one should have a firm grasp of how to use a map, as the less used trails can get faded or washed out. There are volunteer trail crews scheduled to head out there this summer.
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

I'm going to send you a PM. I am very familiar with the place you want to go. I have some secret swimming holes and camping locations that almost no one knows about. I have about a dozen possible routes of the length you want in this area already mapped out in my inventory on CalTopo. I can send you links to the maps and we can discuss them. Some are point to point, some loops, some are in and out with swimming, day hikes, etc. The in and out we can do in your time frame. Most loop and point to points would require longer days of hiking or one or two days more than 5. There are loops less 5 days, but they tend to be at lower elevation, not in scenic granite that you want.

Questions:

Where do you live? Never mind. I see-Fairfax.

Are any of the vehicles high clearance 4WD?

REI is good. I will have to check Sonoma Outfitters and see what they offer. I actually have close to a dozen sleeping bags and backpacks myself. Some are new and light, some old and heavy. I will PM you tonight.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Tom_H wrote:

I'm going to send you a PM. I am very familiar with the place you want to go. I have
some secret swimming holes and camping locations that almost no one knows about.
I have about a dozen possible routes of the length you want in this area already
mapped out in my inventory on CalTopo. I can send you links to the maps and we can
discuss them.

Why discuss this in a PM, HST is about sharing with its fellow members, it is the spirit
that makes us special, not only with one, but with all. This info could be useful to others
who may plan to visit this area in the future.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

maverick wrote:
Why discuss this in a PM, HST is about sharing with its fellow members, it is the spirit that makes us special, not only with one, but with all. This info could be useful to others who may plan to visit this area in the future.
1. Because as discussions develop, more details are revealed about people. I am a public school teacher and also led trips with this age groups of children for a number of years. As the discussion progresses, there is the possiblilty that the other person could potentially need to discuss individual needs of differing children. I am not saying that will happen, just that it potentially could, and anything like that needs to by via PM, not in public domain. As a teacher, I am trying to be protective of other people's privacy, just in case the discussion develops. Especially if it involves children.

2. I don't want to give all my secret places to everybody.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

we still would like a TR after the trip. Part of being in the community here.

regardless of personal needs, the trail stuff should be shared, She asked. Not your call, Tom.
Ross939
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ross939 »

Tom H.: I enjoy reading your posts here. You are a wealth of knowledge. As a father of teens who enjoy packing I would enjoy hearing whatever you would care to share, but as one who has spent some time in an instructional capacity myself, I respect your handling of the mode of communication. Whatever you and Julie would care to share, I'd love to hear about it.
--John
Tom_H
Topix Expert

Post by Tom_H »

Ross939 wrote:Tom H.: I enjoy reading your posts here. You are a wealth of knowledge. As a father of teens who enjoy packing I would enjoy hearing whatever you would care to share, but as one who has spent some time in an instructional capacity myself, I respect your handling of the mode of communication. Whatever you and Julie would care to share, I'd love to hear about it.
--John
John,

Thank you. I appreciate your kind, considerate, and respectful comments.
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

If you are prepared to drive as far as Mammoth then Duck Pass to Reds Meadow is a great introductory 5 day loop (more experienced hikers could do it in 4 days). The hot springs are wonderful to look forward to, the days are fairly short (~31 miles total) and the views and campsites are great with a wide range from high lakes to river valleys to canyons. And you can have a fire (if there aren't restrictions in force by then) on 3 of the 4 nights which is also nice for beginners. You will need permits but that trailhead is usually quite open. Mid July will be an excellent time to go this year as there is far less snow than when we went in 2010, so skeeters shouldn't be a problem.

I did it with my kids (they were 9 at the time) as their first longer (>3 day) trip: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5344" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jambuckley
Topix Novice

Post by jambuckley »

Hi all -sincere thanks to all who have supported this thread with their suggestions. I think two hikes may be in order. One with the kids, and one with my llama buddies!

Tom, I'll get back via PM.

And of course, I'll post an appropriate TR, honoring everyone's intentions.

I'll reiterate that I am thrilled to have found HST.

I don't think that I mentioned it earlier, but as a child I was fortunate enough to have lived each summer in Tuolomne Meadows. Way back when, there was a Sierra Club maintained campground on the Southwest side of the valley, by the soda springs ( north west?). My father was a teacher, as well, and had summers off. We would arrive in June and depart in September. Days were spent day hiking or out on week long hikes. Nice gig, eh? Anyway, I have some photos (slides, actually) of Mono Lake, Glen Aulen in the 60s. I'll track em down and post em. I think this audience might like to see em...