First Time in the Sierras

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
llegoz
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

First Time in the Sierras

Post by llegoz »

Greetings! Early in June I will have some time off from school and work and I'm looking for a 2-3 day trip somewhere in the Sierras. I've never been and would love to go. I have plenty of experience car camping in southern California and some experience backpacking. I've taken a few backpacking trips to Joshua Tree, did a partial trip in Catalina, and that's about it. I would like to do about 10-12 miles a day, but doing more isn't a big deal. I am some what concerned about the altitude but I do plan to spend at least one day acclimating myself to the altitude. Also, I'm concerned that there will still be snow up in the passes early in June, and I have no snow experience at all. I've been looking at Kearsarge Pass, Little Lakes Valley, Mono Pass and Bishop Pass Trail. I can't seem to make up my mind. What should my first trip in the Sierras be? Any help/advice would be great! Thanks.
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: First Time in the Sierras

Post by sparky »

There is a form you should fill out so we can give you options that are best suited for you. It will tell us what kind of scenery you prefer, milage ect....fill that out and you will get some good advice.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4205
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

other than answering the form questions, please refer to it as the Sierra. As it is your first time at altitude, cut your mileage expectations in half, just to help with planning. If you do more mileage, great.
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Yes, use the form, and listen to what answers you get. In the meantime, if you want to think about scenic value of the options you suggested, I recommend Little Lakes Valley or Bishop Pass as your choices. Remember, that's scenic values talking. They are both superb, and you'll take home memories that can last a lifetime. I cherish both of them for the times I spent there. Good luck, enjoy, and share your experiences here with a trip report!
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
llegoz
Topix Newbie

Post by llegoz »

What level of backpacking experience do you have?
Level 2- Some backpacking trips, using trails

What terrain are you comfortable/uncomfortable with?
Class 2 terrain/pass/x-country

What is your main interest?
Lakes

How many days/nights is your trip, not including travel to trailhead?

How many miles did you want to do a day, any layovers?
6 give or take

Do you have a route logistics preference: loop, out and back, point to point
Loop or out and back. Either way works

Is there a particular area in the Sierra that your most interested in
Kings Canyon

Will you be hiking with a dog?
Negative
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

I am taking a first time sierra backpacker who lives at sea level to the Duck Pass area this summer, and staying below the pass the first night out for acclimation. A fisherman's trail just past Skelton Lake leads to many off trail and private camping areas and lovely hidden Woods Lakes. Lots of trees provide some shade along this trail until Barney. You may want to do more than these 3 miles the first day out but I always had altitude sickness my first night out before I lived up here, and I don't want her to risk it.
Jason98165
Topix Novice

Post by Jason98165 »

Here is a link to some trip reports up in the area. I love mineral king, but you'd need 5-6 days to complete the 5 lakes loop or half loop and actually enjoy it. Snow report will also narrow your choices pretty quick. The following site also has an area for early season trips. Good luck.

http://www.backpackthesierra.com/

Jason