Deadman Canyon Loop

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Deadman Canyon Loop

Post by maverick »

Sambieni wrote:
I know Bernice, but where are those lakes and Hellhole pass?
Lakes are the ones above Bernice and to the east, and the pass is just south of Simmons Peak on the ridge.

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by sambieni »

Maverick. Thanks. Looks like fun! Any idea if one could cross from Ireland Lake down into the area w/ all the lakes -> Bernice lake rather than take trail around? Seems coming over that ridge may be quite steep, but if not, could be fun. We won't have climbing gear/ropes.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sambieni wrote:
Maverick. Thanks. Looks like fun! Any idea if one could cross from Ireland Lake down into the area w/ all the lakes -> Bernice lake rather than take trail around? Seems coming over that ridge may be quite steep, but if not, could be fun. We won't have climbing gear/ropes.
Hell Hole is quite steep on the eastern side, and if you do not navigate correctly to by-pass the cliffs, it can go from a class 2 route, to a class 3 and above really fast. There is another pass, unnamed, further north, above Ireland, but its western side takes some routefinding skills to keep it in the class 2 range. You should not attempt either of these passes, if you do not have solid crosscountry pass experience, neither of these passes fall into the beginners category.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

thanks. answer I needed.
happycamper0313
Topix Acquainted

Post by happycamper0313 »

Wandering Daisy wrote:Lots of trail closures from Rush Creek- cannot get to Thousand Island Lake from Silver Lake unless the trail ban is lifted. Has to do with the stability of the Waugh Lake dam. If it is truely a dam safety issue, this may be in effect for the whole summer and I doubt permits will be issued.

Not necessarily for your trip, but for those who cannot get a permit out of Agnew Meadow, and if you have an extra day, you can go in from George Lake via Mammoth Pass and drop to Reds Meadow to intersect the PCT/JMT. This may be an easier permit to get.
I did this over the holiday weekend.

Lake George --> Mammoth Pass --> Red's Meadow/Devil's Postpile/JMT/PCT --> Agnew Meadows --> High Trail/PCT --> River Trail -->Agnew Meadows -->Devils Postpile Road --> Minaret Vista Road --> car parked at end of 203
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have gone from the west edge of Galliston Lake, up to the west arm of Pearson Peak, and traverse east over the northwest arm of Pearson Peak and drop to Ireland Lake. The route has some steep stuff- not hard but not for a beginner. If you are posting here in "Backpacking 101" this route is probably too hard for you. Not sure if this is the "pass" you are talking about, Mav.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

Wandering Daisy wrote:I have gone from the west edge of Galliston Lake, up to the west arm of Pearson Peak, and traverse east over the northwest arm of Pearson Peak and drop to Ireland Lake. The route has some steep stuff- not hard but not for a beginner. If you are posting here in "Backpacking 101" this route is probably too hard for you. Not sure if this is the "pass" you are talking about, Mav.
Posting in the subforum "Backpacking 101" was happenstance more than anything; but most likely we will just do the full trail around if we decide to explore this route.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

My buddy and I are back to most likely doing Deadman Canyon loop and skipping JMT w/ side trips from Red Cones -> TM.

How easy is it to traverse from Elizabeth Pass to Moose Lake? Seen bits/pieces on the web about it, but thought would ask for advice here.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I've hiked from Moose Lake to Horn Col, just east of Lonely Lake, but never finished the last 1/2 mile or so contour from Horn Col to Elizabeth Pass. I've read that this last bit is straightforward, and the slopes on the topo are not steep. Could be snow there this year. Navigation on the TableLands from Moose Lake over to Horn Col (or vice-versa) is easy - everything is exposed and visible. One key is to stay high between Moose Lake and Pterodactyl Pass - trying to go straight across leads you through difficult terrain. From Pterodactyl Pass heading east, you have to drop about 700 feet down into the basin and then climb back up to Lonely Lake for the easiest route. Here is a snippet of map showing some of the cross-country routes I have done on the Tablelands as dotted lines.

Oh, and it took my wife and I about 1/2 day to go from Moose Lake to Lonely Lake. We are fast hikers on trail, but take our time off trail.

-Phil
Tablelands.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sambieni
Topix Regular

Post by sambieni »

4 years later... Sadly never did do that trip write up for Deadman Canyon above. But man, it was a glorious adventure.

I'm looking like I will be 3 days, 2 nights next weekend out of Tuolomne and headed up to Vogelsang. My goal is to get to Bernice Lake based on above info. If my legs feel good, I'll get to Bernice Lake first night. Otherwise, likely gonna just camp beside Fletcher Lake. Day 2 plan is likely head to Ireland Lake and then down to Lyell and out on Day 3. If I cannot get to Bernice day one, I will probably skip it altogether rather than an out/back to Bernice and down to Ireland. I really am not eager to return back down the same Rafferty trail I come in on.

Going solo so no chances will be taken and all will be on trail.