Snow conditions on JMT. Sept 19th is my Start Date.

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
cakeday
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Snow conditions on JMT. Sept 19th is my Start Date.

Post by cakeday »

Good Evening Good People !

i will be starting my JMT adventure from Lyell Canyon on Sept 19th, coming out at Whitney portal around the 5th of October.

In the meantime, what is the best way to keep a watch on what the weather conditions are up there these days -- anyone who recently was on JMT know which passes still have snow and any exceptional high water crossings to be concerned about, so i can do my homework and find alternate paths.

Are there any good websites anyone can recommend that has good weather related information ?

i plan on calling the rangers about a week before i start to find out the trail conditions, where i can expect snow/ice etc..

Thank you !
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Snow conditions on JMT. Sept 19th is my Start Date.

Post by maverick »

Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cakeday
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Snow conditions on JMT. Sept 19th is my Start Date.

Post by cakeday »

thank you so much Maverick. Appreciate it : )