any suggestions?

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

any suggestions?

Post by bobby49 »

I had intended to take Lucy the Border Collie on her first backpacking trip, sometime around July Fourth, plus or minus. We had intended to head into the Emigrant Wilderness for a beginner level trip, just for the dog's benefit. Then I called and found out how much snow is still up there. Granted, in this heat it will melt fast, but the access roads are still messed up in the Pinecrest area. Apparently Kennedy Meadow is OK, so that is my next alternative.

Anybody have any good suggestions for a dog friendly trail? Obviously we will stay out of the national parks. I do most of my own backpacking in the parks, so this forest service land is kind of new to me.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: any suggestions?

Post by c9h13no3 »

bobby49 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:18 pm I had intended to take Lucy the Border Collie on her first backpacking trip
Congrats, your post has been moved to a sub forum no one reads, so you get no feedback. Good work mods. God forbid we have to scroll past this thread in the general camping forum.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Interesting comment C9. I would have thought that most users click on "New Posts" and thereby don't miss anything.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

Dave_Ayers wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:45 am Interesting comment C9. I would have thought that most users click on "New Posts" and thereby don't miss anything.
6 days with no useful comments would demonstrate otherwise.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

c9h13no3 wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:46 pm
Dave_Ayers wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:45 am Interesting comment C9. I would have thought that most users click on "New Posts" and thereby don't miss anything.
6 days with no useful comments would demonstrate otherwise.
I thought everyone knew about the "new posts" or "active topics." Seems simple.
Also, If you want to use the search function, there are a lot of dog friendly TR's.
After my trial is done, I'm heading to Loon Lk. It is a short hike and my dog Simba might be able to partake in a fish fry. His first time out.

Russ
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

"Unread Posts" as well.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Loon Lake. Come along. Simba's first trip as well. My jury trial should end on 7/3. It's best to go after the hoards have left, so July 7th maybe.
Mostly level at 6640' only 3.84 miles in, and a couple days to let the dog think about wild stuff. Base camp, fish, watch how the dog does.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Everytime I log on it's "new posts" first thing
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I just came back from Kennedy Meadows. There were tons of dogs, so it is a good area, as long as you have no problem with taking your dog where lots of other dogs will be passed. Maybe a good thing, to see how the dog socializes on the trail with others. There is plenty of water on the way so the dogs can easily get drinks. Horses have just began to go into Kennedy Lake area so it does not smell too "horsey" yet. Not sure if your dog is inclined to eat those little horse goodies. The trails are quite sandy and there are huge meadows up by Kennedy Lake, which are paw-friendly.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

So Bobby, where are you two going?