Backcountry Cleanliness

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Backcountry Cleanliness

Post by maverick »

What category do you fall under or closest to.

1. After a long day of hiking I may splash some water on my face or use some wipes.

2. Usually jump in a lake if it temps aren't to cold.

3. Do a good showering every other day, and light basic clean up every day.

4. Shower every evening before or after dinner, including shampoo for my
hair, and I use under arm deodorant, and sometimes carry a portable shower/bladder
when with my significant other.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Pietro257
Topix Regular

Re: Backcountry Cleanliness

Post by Pietro257 »

I jump in the nearest lake or creek. The cold water also wards off mosquitoes -- they don't like the cold skin.

You know you're into a backpacking trip when 1)You don't care how dirty you get, and 2)You can lie down on a flat rock comfortably and take a nap.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Guess option # 3 comes closest...
Even if only a quick splash, in-and-out, every couple of days for sure.

Daily though, my Sierra routine follows the immortal words of a long-lost mentor:

"Before retiring, always clean the 3 P's -
Puss, pits, and putz."
Mountainman who swims with trout
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Definitely number 2 though with my eyesight, it's a wade into the lake. And if camped by a creek, then a dunk in the deepest part I can find. There's nothing like getting to a nice campsite in a beautiful place, putting down the pack, and taking a refreshing dip in a lake or creek. It makes me feel better the rest of the afternoon.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Oh geez, you guys are making me feel...barbarian.

Let's call it 0.5 - I don't mind the feeling of dried sweat and grime, but I will splash some water on my face every two full days of so.

I predict the line of volunteers to go backpacking with me will be out the door and around the corner. :)
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

Not sure if I fit any of the 3 alternatives. If water is too cold I can't handle full immersion. But I absolutely cannot climb into my sleeping bag without first a complete washdown of everything but my hair and then putting on long underwear and longsleeve top that are reserved for sleeping (or at least never get put on until I am washed). Doing so helps me to feel more comfortable and sleep better and maintains the sleeping bag in much better condition than jumping in dirty.

Mike
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
Carne_DelMuerto
Topix Expert

Post by Carne_DelMuerto »

#2 if I can handle how cold it is. I really like to feel clean at camp/in my bag.
Wonder is rock and water and the life that lives in-between.
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I at least wash up with bandana daily. I completely jump in lake or river when I can. I don't mind ice cold water at all if the sun is out. Jumping into ice cold water is an instant complete recharge. When trails are dusty I rinse out clothes daily too.

I wash my hands and dishes with soap, but everything else just water and maybe sand/pebbeles if needed.
gregw822
Topix Regular

Post by gregw822 »

I'll splash around in the water most days unless the conditions are just too cold to tolerate, but very rarely do I go full on swimming.

One thing I always do is carry sleeping clothes. I have a light set of long underwear and a pair of socks that I wear in the sleeping bag and absolutely nowhere else. Makes me feel at least pseudo-clean at bedtime.
dave54
Founding Member

Post by dave54 »

What!? No sauna and masseuse?

I clean up as best I can given the situation. I feel better, so I sleep better and am more rested for the next day's exertions. We all get the usual assortment of small cuts and scrapes, and keeping yourself clean as practicable (slightly) reduces the chance of the wound getting infected.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~
Log off and get outdoors!
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=