Backpacking destination with kids

Backpacking and camping basics and other general trip planning discussion for the uninitiated. Use this forum to learn where to look for the information you need, and to ask questions, related to the beginner basics of backpacking and camping, including technique and best practices.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Backpacking destination with kids

Post by hjldennis »

Thanks you all for your inputs! I narrowed it down to 3 spots based on your inputs. In the order 1) Little Lakes Valley, 2) Lake Sabrina and 3) Big Pine Area.

Any ideas on chances of getting 4 permits on coming Thursday at around 4pm for the following day which is Labor Day Friday? It is difficult for this "newbie-to-area" to plan out a trip for a single destination, yet trying to do so for 3 possible itineraries... I already feel at 10,000 ft with light headedness =)

Thx
wandering outdoors and the universe
tim
Topix Expert

Post by tim »

Why not consider Cottonwood Lakes (or Cottonwood Pass to Chicken Spring Lake), then your friends can stay at Horseshoe Meadows with you? It sounds like you are coming from the south so this would be closer. it also has the highest quotas for walk-ins and as a fallback you can go up Trail Pass (to Chicken Spring Lake) which has no quotas at all.
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

tim wrote:Why not consider Cottonwood Lakes (or Cottonwood Pass to Chicken Spring Lake), then your friends can stay at Horseshoe Meadows with you? It sounds like you are coming from the south so this would be closer. it also has the highest quotas for walk-ins and as a fallback you can go up Trail Pass (to Chicken Spring Lake) which has no quotas at all.
Great Idea! I will check into that. Definately a fallback plan. My wife and I stayed there one night before our succfessful Whitney dayhike, after turning back at trail crest the year before becuase of my wife's AMS. Don't remember much about the surrounding area since we were busy looking after our first born (now 9 and going with us this time!).

Thanks for your input!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Be aware that the Fish fire may impact your plans into that area: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =60#p74876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Read Bluewater's report to the area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted

Post by hjldennis »

maverick wrote:Be aware that the Fish fire may impact your plans into that area: http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... =60#p74876" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Read Bluewater's report to the area.
Thanks,
We'll keep our eyes on the fire. Maybe northern destinations will be bit more crowded...