Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by maverick »

This file was saved on my desktop back in Sept, and was intended to be posted in
the middle of November, but since Dave started another "Group Trip" post, it seem
like this would be a good time to post this.

Obviously this location will not work for everyone, as the one last year did not, and
from the "Group Trip" thread, it does not seem that there is a location, whether front
or backcountry, that will fit into everyone's idea of what a meet-up should be.

For some it could be a destination, and for others a stop by, but whichever warms you
backpacking soul, it should really be all about meeting your fellow HST members.

Keeping things in line with the core ideas, and adventure spirit of HST, our next
Meet-up will take place in one of the most beautiful, and some argue, it is the
most beautiful/remote basins in the Sierra.

Many dream of visiting this location, but few backpackers climb its intimidating ridge
lines to gain access into its interior. It boasts numerous peaks to be climbed, creek
to be fished, and beautiful lakes to photograph the morning reflections of Alpenglows
off the surrounding peaks in.

Some of us who have been lucky enough to visit this mesmerizing location before, know
that I am describing Kaweah Basin.

Our 2015 Meet-up will be at Island Lake (10600 ft), the second lake of a string from the
east. HST Map

You have numerous ways to approach this destination, Mineral King, Crescent Meadow,
Roads End, Kearsarge, Horse Corral Meadow, and Shepherd Pass to name a few.

Picket Creek Lake and Red Spur Lakes Basin are close by, and will give you plenty
of reason to make this part of a longer trip, or even a destination location all by itself.

Have only the dates of the 7/22 to 7/24 specified for those who are considering making
this destination part of a longer trip, these are the dates that should overlap for
everyone attending, no matter what your itinerary is.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

2015 HST Meet-up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Hobbes »

Count me in. This year's get together was great - it should be fun once again attending Maverick's 2nd annual HST back-country meet-up for 2015.

For those who didn't have a chance to attend in 2014, the Wed-Fri dates work really well. It provides enough flexibility so that if you're just passing through the area as part of a separate, personal trip, there are a couple of days where fellow HST members will/might be hanging out in a specific place if you choose to meet them.

For instance, this year I was busy fishing a number of different lakes along the way, and arrived in the general destination of Wales lake Wed afternoon - but didn't actually see anybody until after lunch on Thurs. I then got to hang out with a great group of people, had dinner, watched them do their photography thing as the sunset lit up the sky, went to sleep and then bid adios early Friday the next morning to get back to my car & drive home.

Some stayed, others continued on different routes/schedules, but it was a pleasure not having any specific expectations and/or implied obligations. As you might imagine, this kind of arrangement is very appealing to someone who has the shared name of both a philosopher & cat as a handle.

From a hiking perspective, there are multiple different trips one can construct from different THs that would pass by this area - either directly, or as a spur. From a fishing perspective, this destination allows one to hit one (or two depending on how much time you have) of the major GT lakes in the Sierra, or try your luck with the Kern river rainbow.

Personally, I'm toying with the idea of fishing all the way up the Kern from the bridge below Volcano falls, or maybe jam straight from Shepherd, or go x-c over Miter/down Whitney creek. There are a lot of options/choices, all of them awesome trips in their own regard. Meeting someone from the board in person while in the middle of nowhere is just gravy.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Maverick's 2015 Annual HST Meet-Up 7/22-7/24/15

Post by Jimr »

I'm in too. Where I enter and where I exit will depend on if I have a partner or not. I can see several possible shuttles and always a loop if I'm alone. I'll most likely start from Onion Valley regardless of where I exit. In OV and out Shepherd would be a good way to add Wallace into my itinerary as well. Probably haul arse until I can leave JMT, then slow down and enjoy the views.

I have a bit of new gear I'm chompin' at the bit to utilize.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I am a maybe, I would come in from Mineral to Big Arroyo and get a few Kaweah peaks before I get there. Biggest concern taking time off of work but would love to meet some people!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yuberiver, that would be really cool! Are you considering Queen-Pyra Col, Kaweah
Pass, or possibly further east near Red Spur Creek area?

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Nice choice Maverick. That remote Picket Creek basin ought to excite the several members on our board interested in longer trips to distant rarely visited areas. Recall your trip thereabouts a few years ago when you began using a digital camera.

Although I've had queued a 9-day trip over Shepherd Pass into the Upper Kern areas for a few years now and could go next summer, it would be solo on the east side of the trench. So might be able to snag some of you in the distance with my telephoto lens. Will see if there is additional interest for enough members in something shorter and easier as an early season social warm up trip in the late June into first week of July period as some members have discussed.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Dave wrote:
Recall your trip thereabouts a few years ago when you began using a digital camera.
Yeah that was several years now Dave, time sure does fly.
Dave wrote:
That remote Picket Creek basin ought to excite the several members on our board
interested in longer trips to distant rarely visited areas.
Agree. This location is a backpackers wonderland, the whole Picket Creek drainage
is fabulous, and Kaweah Basin is quite diverse, offering outstanding subjects for
photographers, from grand landscapes to more intimate subjects. Won't even start
talking about the opportunities available in Lakes of Red Spur Basin.

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Maverick kind of looking at Black, Red and big/ mt Kaweah at this point.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sorry, I meant entering point into and out of Kaweah Basin?

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I do need to get out next year. This year has sucked. I pulled up your HST map reference, Mav and put on the fish-less filter. Um, does that look right? Showed the lakes as fish-less.