Mt Lyell on Sept 25th

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt Lyell on Sept 25th

Post by NoBoHiker »

Hi All,

I am thinking about going up to Mt Lyell (Yosemite Glacier) on Friday Sept 25th as part of a two day trip. I'll be leaving from the bay area. Let me know if anyone is interested in teaming up.

Cheers, Rick
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: Mt Lyell on Sept 25th

Post by maverick »

Hey Rick,

Just a heads up, we were in the Ritter/Banner area this past week, the smoke from the Rough Fire, on some days, cut the visibility drastically, personally would not want to climb a fun peak like that, that offers such great views, unless conditions (visibility) were great.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Joemorton85
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Joemorton85 »

Hey rick, I was thinking about backpacking somewhere in SEKI for a extended weekend. However Mt. Lyell seems fun as long as the route is class 2 or 3. Are you planning on staying just 1 night out there?
NoBoHiker
Topix Novice

Post by NoBoHiker »

the smoke from the Rough Fire, on some days, cut the visibility drastically,
thanks for the heads up maverick, but if the weather is favorable, I'll probably still go.
However Mt. Lyell seems fun as long as the route is class 2 or 3. Are you planning on staying just 1 night out there?
yes, just one night or two at most. Drive up either Thursday or Friday afternoon and hope to score a permit for Lyell, otherwise Mono/Parker.
The route to the top requires crossing the glacier,. Some do it without gear, but I am thinking of micro spikes and probably ice axe which I yet to have to arrange for. Let me know..

Rick
Joemorton85
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by Joemorton85 »

Doesn't look like I'll be able to get out this weekend due to work. Have fun and be safe!