San Gorgonio, Vivian Creek Tomorrow

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
TKO
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

San Gorgonio, Vivian Creek Tomorrow

Post by TKO »

I want to hike up the Vivian Creek trail up San Gorgonio Mountain tomorrow but all day hike permits (and even overnight permits) are all already issued. Outside of coming to the Mill Creek Visitor Center very early to pick up a walk-in permit, I am looking for any hikers who I can join and who already have a permit to hike up the Vivian Creek trail.

I am willing to hike Sunday if anyone has a permit for Sunday. I am training to do an overnight hike up the main Mt. Whitney trail next weekend (September 26-28).
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: San Gorgonio, Vivian Creek Tomorrow

Post by maverick »

Hi TKO,

Welcome to HST! Might find hiking partner if you let me people know a little about yourself, and you abilities. ;)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TKO
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: San Gorgonio, Vivian Creek Tomorrow

Post by TKO »

maverick wrote:Hi TKO,

Welcome to HST! Might find hiking partner if you let me people know a little about yourself, and you abilities. ;)
I've been training for Mt. Whitney for the past two weeks. I'm in Glendale, CA (LA County) so I've been doing day hikes here in Southern California. Two weeks ago I hiked up Big Santa Anita Canyon to Mt. Wilson, which was really long and steep. I was still sore two days later when I hiked up Ice House Canyon. Luckily we took it slow up to the Ice House Canyon saddle so I was able to overcome my soreness.

Last Friday (September 11) I summitted Mt. Baldy via the Devil's Backbone Trail going up (starting at the Manker Flats Campground) and going down via the Ski Hut trail. The next day I hiked up the Marion Mountain trail towards San Jacinto Peak; we stopped just past Little Round Valley Trail Camp. I'm hoping to hike up to San Gorgonio Peak tomorrow (Saturday, September 19th) as my final hike before backpacking up the main Mt. Whitney trail.

I've been wanting to do the Mt. Whitney trail for over four years now. I couldn't go in 2011 due to the large snowfall that year and people's schedules not working out in July or August. I want to go now since there's no snow, at least for now (due to the ongoing drought). I'm excited at the opportunity to hike up to Mt. Whitney, having a fascination for it since elementary school because it's the highest point in the 48 states.

I am planning to hike Mt. Whitney with a friend who's coming down from the Oakland, CA area. I'm in above-average physical shape with no problem with the altitude at Mt. Baldy nor San Jacinto Peak (not at the summit but close to it). I look forward to meeting new people and making new friends.