Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Rockyroad »

Shhsgirl, what day are you starting? Sunday for me. I travel slow, especially over talus. I'm giving myself 3 days to get to Blue Lake.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Sunday, permit providing. Camping on west side of TI that night. Hope to get to Twin Lakes Monday night. Blue Lake on Tuesday night. Bet you anything you are faster than we are.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Shhsgirl wrote:Sunday, permit providing. Camping on west side of TI that night. Hope to get to Twin Lakes Monday night. Blue Lake on Tuesday night. Bet you anything you are faster than we are.
Haha, I guess it's a race to see who is the slowest then! Just as long as Hobbes doesn't pass us up (He's starting on Tuesday). I have the same itinerary as you so I hope you get your permits.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

You'll know Hobbes has passed you by the sudden smell of jet fuel and burnt rubber. There may be a flash or a sonic boom, but don't count on it. Sure wish I was going. I've now spent 7 days moving 16 years worth of house stuff one truckload at a time. Hope to be done by Sunday, but I'm not sure. I've decided that since I'm not going, I will haul up Isberg trail on the 30th and meetup with Maverick, Oleander and Viki for the evening, then hike out with them Sunday. Better than nothing and I get to see my friends.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Better than nothing and I get to see my friends.
:nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

In case we see anyone along the way, this is my itinerary beginning tomorrow. Looking forward to meeting all of you! I will be traveling with a colleague.

Sunday July 23: Drive to Yosemite, pick up permit, drive to Mono Meadows Trailhead off the Glacier Point Road. Leave car at Mono Meadows trailhead and begin hike. Camp at one of the crossings of Ilillouette Creek or along the Creek.

Monday: Hike to Lower Ottaway Lake and camp there for the night.

Tuesday: Hike over Red Peak Pass, take a short cross-country hike to Red Devil lake and camp there for the night.

Wednesday: Rejoin the trail and hike east to Triple Peak Canyon, go down and back up the east side to join the High Trail that runs to the east of Triple Peak Canyon. Depending on time and energy could camp at lake 10005 or further north along the trail. Slight possibility if we are feeling very energetic of cross country up Foerster Creek to camp at Harriet lake.

Thursday: Continue north on the High Trail until we get to the Lyell Fork of the Merced River. There we leave the trail and follow the Lyell Fork upstream (east) to join up with the other participants coming for the High Sierra Topix annual meet-up. Our assigned camp is approximately N 37.70388 W 119.29062.

Friday: We do not move camp, but will dayhike from the meet-up. Most likely we will explore the high lakes on the Lyell Fork that lie immediately west of Electra and Rodgers Peaks.

Saturday: Leave camp and take the High Trail north, then west into the canyon at the Merced Lake Ranger station. Continue past Merced lake and Echo Valley and ideally camp in the vicinity of the Bunnell cascades--but more likely anywhere we can find a legal unoccupied camp.

Sunday: Leave camp as early as humanly possible and hike through Little Yosemite Valley (bypassing the hordes of people lining up to climb Half Dome) and hike down to the top of Nevada Falls. Then take the Panorama Trail from Nevada Falls and climb back up out of the canyon. At the top we will probably take the boring but shorter Mono cutoff to get us the last 8 miles back to the Mono Meadows trailhead.
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

It is starting to look like Viki and I will be the first two people at the meet-up. Tues. night or Wed. morning. If anyone is strolling past Camp 3 (the lowest camp), come say hi. Maybe we will walk up to to Camp 1 to catch Gazelle on Wed. evening.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Husband and I camped just below TI on River Trail, a little beyond intersection with PCT. During evening, after I had set up camp and before husband got there, I was down at the water. Someone came into camp and took everything in my pack: all stuff sacks, Mountain Laurel Design Cuben fiber bivy, Cuben fiber pack cover, Z Packs rain suit, and my new Wiley X sunglasses. Hope he liked those-- they were prescription. I need everything I carry, so we decided to turn around and go home. This was disheartening, to say the least. Well, I guess I can buy new stuff, but I can never get this time back. Sticky Fingers, at least, can't buy a new character, but maybe that doesn't matter anymore. Our daughter says maybe he'll get struck by lightning.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Wow, just ......wow! You're assuming it's a guy, but that's likely a very good assumption. Some men need to be strung up by their manhood and left to dangle. I'm trying to be nice with my comments, but it's hard. I have a huge problem with cancers to society. There is only one golden rule,,, don't be a D!que.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Unreal!
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix