High Sierra Trail to Mt. Whitney in this Summer

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
sky00high
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

High Sierra Trail to Mt. Whitney in this Summer

Post by sky00high »

Hi,

I am a student who will graduate in this May. I wish to do the High Sierra Trail (kudo to this forum's name) and climb Mt. Whitney in this Summer ( My summer vacation range from May to first half of August). Does anybody want to do this as well? I am very flexible with the time as long as not beginning of June when I have my graduate ceremony. We better do it later in the summer anyway since apparently the sierra have her fair amount of snow in this winter.

The primary difficulty of this trip is transportation. I have no problem rent a car for a week. But we might need drive another car to another side of sierra. If anyone have a better idea on how we can transport ourself please shed some light.

If unfortunately I can't find a partner in this thread, and anyone who is reading this have some other ideas on how to find a partner, please tell me.

I thank you for your help ahead.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: High Sierra Trail to Mt. Whitney in this Summer

Post by AlmostThere »

Don't worry, you won't be alone by any stretch of the imagination, even if you don't find friends to take with you.

You can park your car at the other end, and take public transportation back around to the starting point. There is a shuttle from Visalia into the park. You'll have to get to Lodgepole for a permit and then ride the in-park shuttle to the trailhead.

Hopefully this will not be your first backpacking trip -- it's kind of important to have some short overnight trips under your belt before going out for a week.
peaksandpotatoes
Topix Acquainted

Post by peaksandpotatoes »

There is a High Sierra Trail through hike posted at California Peaks: http://www.meetup.com/California-Peaks/
I don't think they will do Whitney though.

In any case, Meetup.com is a great way to find trips.
The California Peaks Facebook page is also a pretty active place for finding partners.

And of course this forum is also great for finding hiking partners if you share some more info about yourself. Backpacking experience etc.

Good luck!
http://peaksandpotatoes.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sky00high
Topix Acquainted

Post by sky00high »

AlmostThere wrote:Don't worry, you won't be alone by any stretch of the imagination, even if you don't find friends to take with you.

You can park your car at the other end, and take public transportation back around to the starting point. There is a shuttle from Visalia into the park. You'll have to get to Lodgepole for a permit and then ride the in-park shuttle to the trailhead.

Hopefully this will not be your first backpacking trip -- it's kind of important to have some short overnight trips under your belt before going out for a week.
I see. I will go research the public transportation you mentioned. And thank you for your concern. I did have some overnight trips before but I indeed need to get back to shape before I try this. :p
sky00high
Topix Acquainted

Post by sky00high »

peaksandpotatoes wrote:There is a High Sierra Trail through hike posted at California Peaks: http://www.meetup.com/California-Peaks/
I don't think they will do Whitney though.

In any case, Meetup.com is a great way to find trips.
The California Peaks Facebook page is also a pretty active place for finding partners.

And of course this forum is also great for finding hiking partners if you share some more info about yourself. Backpacking experience etc.

Good luck!
This is awesome. I will try to find someone there. Thank you!
JOSE
Topix Newbie

Post by JOSE »

I will do Mount Whitney on 7/07/16 via Cottonwood Pass; it's about 30 miles one way exiting through Whitney Portal. Interested?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Welcome to HST JOSE!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
JOSE
Topix Newbie

Post by JOSE »

Thanks for the welcome Maverick;