Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Jimr »

I'm heading up early Sat. 22nd, pick up permit, check into Mt. Williamson Hotel and drop off pack at around noon. Head to Sawmill just to check out the road past the pavement portion to TH, then head to Taboose and stow my Truck, then walk back to the road and get a ride from Lisa & Viki on their way by back to Independence. Should be a nice hot slog.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Division creek road to the Sawmill pass TH should be fine. I was up there last July and it was in perfect condition. It's paved until the LADWP powerhouse, then graded gravel the last .5 mile. Here's an off-roader's description:

http://www.cbioffroadfab.com/trail-ride ... ng-canyon/

So, you'll be there in less than 5 minutes after turning off the old 395. What is far more interesting is whether you have a chance to check out Taboose. If it's doable in your truck, I might, just might, steal my son's little Nissan Frontier for the week. It's a '99 and a little ragged - but still reliable and functional - so while it wouldn't be as comfortable on the way up, if I could make it to the Taboose TH, it might be worth the effort.

I'll give you a call Sat evening to see if you have any good road intelligence. I can post any updates here if you'd like.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Since we are bringing Viki's Chevy Volt to Sawmill, I thought she would be comforted knowing her low profile vehicle can make it without issue, especially at 4am. I figured it was nothing to get a visual and report to her. I don't have any cell service in Independence. If you have an iPhone I can send and receive text through wifi, but only if you have iPhone.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

So you're leaving your truck @ Taboose TH? How are you going to get back to the hotel for your 4am start to the Sawmill TH the next day?

Re iPhone - got it. I'll use Regan's to get hold of you. Or, you can walk across the street to use the pay phone and call me. Either way, I'd love to get some input on the Taboose road.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Text me Regan's number. That way I can update you as soon as I know. I'm walking out to 395 and waiting for Lisa and Viki to pick me up.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Jimr wrote:I'm walking out to 395 and waiting for Lisa and Viki to pick me up.
Ah, so you're doing the road walk. Only you're going to do it in the afternoon? Even without a pack, you might look like this afterward:

Boy, you will definitely want some of these :drinkers: when you get back to the hotel. I'm sure there will be plenty of people interested in seeing your road report and will greatly appreciate your sacrifice by taking one for the team. :rock:
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

AT 101F, I figure I'm taking more than one for the team. 3 liters of water, sun hat, shades and level 3 meditative state ought to do it. If not, the coyotes should have a feast.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

BTW, I always look like that.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You may luck out and catch someone coming out, most folks finish their trips on a weekend, otherwise it will be a hot one, take plenty of water and an umbrella. :cool:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

My parasol won't be enough? I'll bring my sombrero.