Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Jimr »

Oleander, Ghost and I are going, but with snow as it is, we've had to add a plan B that would skip Arrow Basin and the meetup. We plan to come in Sawmill, go up into Window Peak drainage and pay my respects to ranger Randy, then up the basin and over into Arrow Basin, then Arrow pass to Bench Lake, then out Taboose pass. Plan B kicks in if we can't get over from Window Peak basin to Arrow Basin, then we go back down and take trail over to Bench. I figure that Window Peak drainage will likely hold snow much longer than most other areas due to it's narrow North/South feature. We're going to attempt a crossing at 36.9143, -118.4580.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

I was planning on going but just found out my work schedule has me working Thursday-Monday. :( I may make it out Tuesday-Wednesday and if anyone is going to be there early we might see each other.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Jimr wrote:We're going to attempt a crossing at 36.9143, -118.4580.
Have you read Wired's trip report going through this area last August?

http://walkingwithwired.com/kchbr-2016

It's part of Skurka's KCHBR (if you recall his request for input & the ensuing, ahem, "discussion" regarding Goddard creek). And yes, she appears to have experienced the same sentiments about Goddard as you did. :mad:

Anyway, Window looks like it could be a dead-end if you can't get over your coord point, forcing you to retreat all the way back to Woods creek. Secondly, even if you did make it over into Arrow basin, Arrow pass might be a bit challenging since it faces NNE. The saddle right under Arrow peak - which isn't much higher - has a glacier noted on the map.

However, White Fork - the route Wired took - appears from her photos/description to be pretty straightforward in getting over to Bench.

http://walkingwithwired.com/2016/08/day ... e-day.html

As for myself, I don't think I'm going to try and get over Arrow pass. Since I'm planning on hiking in from Taboose, maybe I'll see you guys around Bench. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here, just attempting to be a bit realistic. Here's what the SHR looked like under Conness & N Peak (photo left, facing N) looked like Aug 21, 2011:

RC is smiling because she's going back on the boat
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I was initially looking at White Fork as an option. We haven't really wired out plan B yet, but we did really want to see the area N/O Arrow pass. I hear there is some geothermal interest there somewhere. The Canyon entrance from Woods Creek looked like a narrow slog, but the pictures tell a better story. That would be something to assess on the way to Window Peak with respect to creek flow. I was also looking at the possibility of crossing from Window to White Fork canyon via 36.9108, -118.4484.

At this point, it's a crap shoot as to how much snow will be there, but creek flows will be a given. Plan B may end up being plan C.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If, and that is a very big if, I can get away for 2-3 nights, then will come up via RE>Pyramid or Arrow Creek route to spend the night in Arrow Creek Basin on Thur (7/27), and leave Friday. [-o<
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Well, I'm still game for the meetup, even if it's just me giving a high-five to Gazelle. I've taken time off work, and I got a wilderness permit for Taboose Pass. Most of my trek will be solo, anyway, and I was thinking the meetup would be a nice cap to the week. I'm also not worried about snow on Arrow Pass -- I'm prepared to bring 12-point crampons and ice axe.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, I really hope everyone who previously indicated making the Meet-up will be able to attend.

Started a "Gofundme" for my friend/employee, raised $43,000+ so far. :)

We are really hoping, that with the chemo & radiation treatment and some alternative/non-conventional treatments, that we will be able to beat this stage 4 cancer and get her many more wonderful years!! :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

I'm still planning on being there (via Taboose), but I had to undergo knee surgery Friday so I'm no longer 100% certain. We'll see how it goes the next few weeks.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Speedy recovery Dave.

Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

+1