Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Gazelle »

Just sent 1 to your inreach to test
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

Hoping to make it out there, but between lingering health issues and a need to be back in Lancaster by the afternoon on the 30th, it's still up in the air on if I'll make it.

Which is frustrating, as I'm at a place where I'd benefit a lot from actually being around more experienced folks; there's only so much you can pick up when you're primarily out solo or with people of a similar skill level.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

So are people arriving thursday staying thursday night leaving friday?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I think we are scheduled to arrive Thursday and leave Saturday morning.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Gazelle wrote:So are people arriving thursday staying thursday night leaving friday?
Yes, arrive Thurs afternoon, leave Fri morning. PS I replied to your DL message - did you get my return confirmation?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

yes thanks
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Hobbes wrote:Well, I'm stopping by a few lakes on the way earlier in the day, so perhaps I'll have something we can cook & eat. No campfires above 10k (Bench is 10.6k), so maybe foil over a jetboil?
Hobbes, I'm bringing my frying pan.
Gazelle wrote:Jimr I could possible see you before the meetup as many of my routes overlap yours.
Gazelle, If you see Oleander and Ghost, I'll be with them.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Based on your map which route is priority or completely depends on what the conditions are at the time?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Blue is primary, Green is some alternates to primary, Black is a bailout of primary, JMT is a last resort.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

What a winter eh? I believe I hit right around 250 inches of snow at my house in South Lake Tahoe! That's about 100 over the average which is incredibly impressive.

Anyways.. I'm still going. Now it's just me and not Rogue and I. I fully intend on still trying to get up Arrow Pass because all 4 peaks in that region I have a major hankering to take out. Being an SPSer can be rough hah.

Sounds like I'll be seeing most of the people still going at Bench Lake on Thursday and hopefully checking out Arrow Pass then as well. I have to rework the schedule I posted since I had us arriving into the Arrow Creek Basin on the 28th and not the 27th.

I am bringing an ice ax and more than likely crampons. I have no issues with using them nor do I believe the conditions will be so great that I won't want to use them to get up the passes. Having done Lassen earlier this year along with multiple other winter ascent has prepared my mind for the snow this summer. I'm also doing Shasta this weekend.

Now... I see some interesting comments.. Flamingo you say you're going in Taboose on the 23rd? That is the same day I plan on going in as well. So our peaks and days might line up. The same goes for Gazelle... when do you plan on heading up Taboose?
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;