Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by richlong8 »

I had my long needed ankle surgery done on December 12th. Hopefully, this means I will no longer be slowly limping home while others are long gone from the Meetup(2015), but able to put in many years of gallivanting around the Sierra. I think my final cast is coming off the new bionic ankle on Thursday. So I am going to optimistically pull a permit for the Meetup, and if rehab goes well, I will see everyone there. It gives me a target to shoot for. If it goes a little slower, I will check in,and let you know it will have to be 2018.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So I am going to optimistically pull a permit for the Meetup, and if rehab goes well, I will see everyone there. It gives me a target to shoot for. If it goes a little slower, I will check in,and let you know it will have to be 2018.
Keeping my fingers crossed that things work out well for you Rich and not only will you be able to attend this years Meet-up but that your ankle will be much stronger than before. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

On the first post for the Meet-up, is there supposed to be a map, or a link. I see only a big blank space. ???
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

On the first post for the Meet-up, is there supposed to be a map, or a link. I see only a big blank space. ???
That's weird, I can see the map. :(

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Not seeing it either.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Check now, updated the map link and also included a direct link to the same location so if the map goes blank again.

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Got it thru the link, thanks.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

A couple questions: #1: I assume Striped Mt. Basin is the basin w/3 decent sized lakes west of Striped Mtn? #2: There is a decent sized lake SE of Taboose Pass, probably on the route described by Secor as one way to climb Striped. Has anyone visited, or have any info about this lake? If fishing info, please PM, if its a decent place to toss a lure.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A couple questions: #1: I assume Striped Mt. Basin is the basin w/3 decent sized lakes west of Striped Mtn?
Yes
#2: There is a decent sized lake SE of Taboose Pass, probably on the route described by Secor as one way to climb Striped. Has anyone visited, or have any info about this lake?
Yes, but no info on fish. Striped Mtn Lakes is the main attraction for fishing in the whole region. Remember Larry posting a photo of that lake SE of Taboose in a 2012 trip report:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I pulled a permit for Taboose on Saturday, July 22. Filling up fast, 3 left for Saturday, Friday, 7/21, and Sunday, 7/23 full, one spot left for Monday. The snow levels will make it very interesting this year.