Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Gazelle »

ok I got my route picked out going in Onion valley on Thursday the 20th to Glen pass do lots of peaks dragon, Gould, Rixford, dragon, painted lady, fin dome,cotter, gardiner, clarence king etc go over to the lake below window peak climb window, pyramid etc, go over whitefork saddle do crater, ickes etc, over to Wynne and Pinchot, to arrow basin meetup on thursday , friday do Arrow and Arrow ridge, out to below stripped do stripped south and white, do 3917, cardinal, goodale and stripped, go out monday the 31st. big fat peak-bagging trip if weather holds should get around 30 peaks some unnamed should be great and see some people in Arrow basin maybe, Should be around 100 miles 55,000 elevation gain 11-12 days !!!!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

tomba wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I'm eyeballing that steep chug up Arrow Creek thinking it's probably pretty gnarly.
Instead of going up Arrow Creek, I think you can get there by going up the next creek east, west from Window Peak. See the points labeled "Arrow Peak Descent 1" and "Arrow Peak Descent 2" on this map.
Oh, where's the fun in easy routes?

I'm pencilling in a few days -- we'll see if reality lets me finally show up for something.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by SSSdave »

Can understand your interest in that remote destination and many on the board will consider that an excelent choice though it is not one I will make an effort to visit, thankyou.

I have had a highly planned 10-day trip for several years that the drought years got in the way of over Taboose Pass. If I were to do Taboose during those dates, it would be part of a 10-day trip and would be July 22 thru Monday July 31. I would not bother climbing over to Arrow Creek via the divide from the basin east of Arrow Peak because at least photographically, other near basins are more aesthetically interesting without much effort to reach once over Taboose.

For instance the blue pools basin. Thus at most might base camp in the Bench Lake zone a couple days. I also much like the basins north and south of Pinchot Pass because of all the colorful metamorphic geology so would just semi base camp in those 3 zones that would be a more leisurely semi base camping trip once getting over strenuous Taboose. In any case I do have a bit more interest in the trip over Shepherd Pass I bailed on this summer so will need to think about that. And if I do Taboose might link up with some others en-route.

I'm likely to retire from my hi tech career as we enter 2017 so ought to have a lot of time in the coming years to go where I want, when I want.

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2016_Trip_C ... les-0.html
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

feeling that way myself these days.. retiring that is.. getting tired of the crap.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

SSSdave wrote:I would not bother climbing over to Arrow Creek via the divide from the basin east of Arrow Peak because at least photographically, other near basins are more aesthetically interesting without much effort to reach once over Taboose.
Others happen to agree with you - perhaps if you indicated a willingness to attend, Mav might consider these differing opinions and move the location just slightly north. I think Daisy might be on board as well, as I seem to recall she suggested Lake basin herself as a possible meet-up spot. Of course, this is Mav's deal - it was interesting seeing the other thread which indicated how long his thought process about get-togethers has been going on. To have pulled off 3 well attended gathering of the tribe is pretty impressive. I just hope #4 is as successful.

I think Lake Basin has more to offer: lakes, creeks, waterfalls, huge mountain scenery and plentiful camping everywhere. It is a huge basin, open in all directions with really good alpenglow and photo opportunities. There are four good ways to access (Cartridge, Dumbell, Red and Frozen Lake Passes).

On the other hand Arrow Basin had some nice lakes, but the basin is more narrow and mainly north/south facing and there wasn’t much in the way of a sunset. It was mostly shaded by later afternoon due to the peak/ridge along the west side. The camping was so-so. The access is limited to Arrow Pass and the Window Creek drainage down to Woods Creek.

I might add that Lake basin is a natural fit for those coming from the west. Both GB & AT would be hard pressed to pass on such an easy point of entry close to home along the SHR. Compare that to hoofing it up from Paradise with the Rae Lakes hordes, then bushwhacking up Window creek.

Same is true of eastsiders; as Dave mentions, the Taboose->Cartridge->FLP->Taboose loop is such a natural that passing on the meet-up raises other questions. IOW, making a meet-up location so accessible, yet still challenging, from both sides of the range, that not attending means you simply don't really want to go.
Last edited by Hobbes on Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Hobbes wrote:If you make a meet-up location so accessible, yet still challenging, from both sides of the range, that not attending means you simply don't really want to go.
I should add that in the true spirit of HYOH, no one of course is under any obligation to do anything they don't want to do. Yet, consider that as an outgrowth of Mav's different get-togethers, a number of real-life flesh-and-blood friendships have been formed, including, dare I spill the beans, one with a romantic twist?

So, they do have a real impact.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Hobbes,

SSSDave has already indicated previously that this kind of Meet-up in the backcountry is not his thing, on this and another site, so the location will not be changing so it might entice 2 other members who may possibly attend. If folks are interested great, I am well aware that not everyone is going to be happy with the location all the time, it is just like cooking, can't satisfy everyone all the time. :)

Yes, Lake Basin is a beautiful location, but it already gets enough impact, especially since the SHR runs through it, Arrow Creek Basin was specifically chosen for its remoteness which is the essence of these Meet-ups, besides the possible friendships that may develop from them. There are numerous routes one can creatively tie this into as a longer trip if one desires Hobbes, where there is a will there's a way.

My belief is that our core group will attend, my hope is that members who have yet to attended will be inspired after seeing the success of the previous Meet-ups, and it will motivate them to come visit something off the beaten path, dipping into their pool of adventure spirit. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

cool!

I will start planning now to have them dashed again at the last minute #-o
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Well you've really gone and done it. I was going to drag Alpinemike out to the Devil's Crags to risk our lives climbing that beast but now we are going to come to this meet up. :D

Unless changes are made here is our plan:

July 23th - Taboose Pass
July 24th - Climb Cardinal
July 25th - Climb Ruskin
July 26th - Climb Peak 12,840
July 27th - Arrow Creek
July 28th - Climb peak 12,180
July 29th - Climb Pyramid Peak
July 30th - Climb Peak 12,560
July 31th - Climb Window Peak
August 1th - Twin Lakes
August 2th - Hike Out

The peak on the 28th is the one on the West end of Arrow Ridge. I've had my sites on it for a couple years now. I doubt it's climbed very often. Maybe another chance to bag a peak with less than 10 ascents.
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Any idea if there are fish in the basin itself?
Yes the lakes have fish.