Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

Well, my friend's/employee's results came back, all my plans for the summer are put on hold, maybe the Sept search will still be a go. If you guys would like to proceed with an alternative location, please do. :(
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Sorry to hear that brother.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I am totally up for something in September. Still toying with running off to Wyoming for August. PS, they also have a big snowpack- 150-200%. Big snow year in the Pacific Northwest too.

Sorry Mav- you put a lot of work into this and to not be able to do it is a shame.

Hobbes- I am pretty flakey too, in fact I did not even manage to get to the 2015 meet-up before everyone left. :crybaby: But it was a great location!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

We had a mini-meetup. I enjoyed that :nod:
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Works out better for me if it is September. I was given a clean bill of health after the dr. looked at my ankle catscan on Tuesday. I had complex ankle surgery in December, and everything is fused, and the ankle feels better now than before the surgery. I am now cleared to begin to get on the Nordictrac, and start going up and down hills, and trails to get in shape. I'm bloated up like a walrus, so I need every week I can get between now and the Meetup to get in shape. Count me in either way. I must admit, I was looking at my old ice axe, thinking about the trip, and wondering, just how do I do a self-arrest?! without impaling myself......
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

I am going... Even if i am the only 1 there!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

Snow isn't an issue here, but the July date is just a few days too late for us. Our hiking calendar is tight and if things work out as planned we'll be coming through the area about 4-5 days early. We start in Yosemite around July 13, and plan to make it out at Whitney Portal with enough time left to get back home by August 2, which means we need to be back at our car (probably in Yosemite) on July 31. The only way I could make the meet-up work is to forgo everything south of Kearsarge Pass and just hang there and then walk out to Independence, or turn around and head to Parchers/Bishop. we will keep all that in mind as we continue to plan our route for the summer.

Maybe we'll throw out all our normal through hike route plans and just do a set of multi-day outings from various trailheads, which would work out ok with a Taboose or Sawmill Pass entry.

September is unlikely to work for me, unless it is very late. I may be in CA around the Sept 23 weekend. Could do before or after if that pans out. Living 2000 miles away makes those things quite difficult to pull off, though.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

So, is the meet up on of off?
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I have it in my schedule, but will not go unless a few more people do. I would come in from Roads End and up to Arrow Basin from Castle Domes.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

As I said I am going have permit and time off
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein