Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Ashery »

Heh. I'm guessing it'll be safe to assume it's you if I happen to spot someone walking down Taboose Creek Rd. as I start my way up, :p I tend to leave around noon or so, and it's only 2h40 to the turn for Taboose. Could try to time leaving home to be a bit more in tune, but that's not the easiest thing to do that far out.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I'm sure I'll be the only fool walking the road ](*,)
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
austex
Topix Expert

Post by austex »

What will be in Jim's "headphones"
Roger Miller's... "King of the Road" :unibrow:
Teresa Gergen
Topix Regular

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Last edited by Teresa Gergen on Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Lots of talk about walking the Taboose Pass Road. After realizing yesterday evening that I need to hike the road up after getting out at Sawmill on the 3rd of August I'd like to know some info about the rough section.

How much distance would I need to walk and how long would you say it would take? I'm hoping to get out at Sawmill late in the afternoon and hike up the road when it's cooler rather than midday or even late morning.

Another question: Are there any Bear Boxes at either Taboose or Sawmill Trailheads? If there aren't what is the best viable option for storing food while I'm out for 12 days in the backcountry? I was thinking maybe the post office in Independance or Big Pine.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Years ago I came out Taboose Pass Road, and my car was up at South Lake. I had hoped to hitch, but nobody showed up! So I walked the road. It was longer than I had expected (but I had also just come down from the pass, so was tired). Be sure to fill up with water before you go down, because there is no water along the way. Also, I did not have a map with the road on it, so I got a bit confused. There are several junctions. I went to the campground, where there were people who then took me to Bishop. If you go to the campground you may be able to find someone who would take you to your destination.

If you had a mountain bike, you could bike down the roads and it would be a lot faster.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

It is straight-forward road walking - you can do about 3 mph even with a pack on.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

austex wrote:What will be in Jim's "headphones"
Roger Miller's... "King of the Road" :unibrow:
[youtube_vid]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/CzFi65W_ZAE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/youtube_vid]
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

For those heading up this weekend or early during the next week.

Hanford NWS:
Monsoon moisture is forecast to return to the Sierra late Sunday. PWAT`s remain dry and the potential for dry lightning is possible. Deeper moisture moves north Monday through Wednesday with the best dynamics associated with a potential MCV on Tuesday night into Wednesday. Showalter Index gets more impressive for mid level convection Tuesday night and Wed.

Saturday Night Clear, with a low around 46. South southeast wind 5 to 10 mph becoming southwest after midnight.

Sunday A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Sunny, with a high near 66. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 15 mph.

Sunday Night A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Mostly clear, with a low around 45. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.

Monday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny, with a high near 66. West northwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming south southeast in the morning.

Monday Night Isolated showers after 11pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Tuesday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 63. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south in the morning.

Tuesday Night A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Partly cloudy, with a low around 43. South southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming west in the evening. Winds could gust as high as 15 mph.

Wednesday A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 65. West northwest wind around 5 mph becoming south southeast in the morning.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I sure hope a change in weather will help with smoke from the fire in Mariposa. 110 square miles, only 7% contained. Thursday- I am in Reno, enjoying a couple of days with the family before hitting the Taboose Pass trail late Friday afternoon. Totally smoky skies from Fresno north driving all the way into Reno. Hard to get excited about this trip with those kind of conditions, but I will hope for the best. If I hear about an exodus from the Meetup trip in the next 24 hours because of the fire, I will bail, maybe to Big Sur or Pt. Reyes, if they are smoke free. Otherwise, I will be there at Bench. I am taking my Subaru Outback to the Taboose trailhead on Friday. I would think it will make it, otherwise, I will pull off and park the car somewhere if it gets too dicey, not worth trashing the car. I am probably too early for most of you, but if anyone needs transport, I am coming in from Reno during the day Friday. I am just coming out Taboose, unless someone is available to do a Sawmill/Taboose shuttle.