Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

Change the location to Bench Lake, if it allows for more members to attend this time around because of the snow, which is the main object of the Meet-up, then cool.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

Flamingo wrote:Also, is anyone planning to join via Window Creek (besides Mav, maybe)?
If I happen to make it Wednesday I would be coming up that way, but don't make any changes because of me.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Shhsgirl »

Bench Lake would be fine with me, but the surf has interfered with the whole thing. The family has decided to do our annual vacation to San O on Aug. 1, and it's a 12 to 1 (me) vote, so I'm out.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Bench works for us as well (obviously, since we have it in our itinerary already). I'll chat with Mav in the next few days to pick his brain on prime locale.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Bench does not work for me. No problem- maybe next year.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

Well, I thought I would check in and see if the Meetup is still on, and it sounds like it is, right?, so I am going, if it is still on. My new rebuilt,bionic ankle is working out great, and I already have a permit for Taboose. So, spending some a few days in the general area, then meeting everyone at Bench is fine with me. Great fun fishing at that lake! I spent a full day several years ago fishing the perimeter of Bench, and it was a great day. As we get closer, and if we have a few big long heat waves, more snow may melt than people think, and I might bring my old axe, and buy some spikes if it looks like Arrow Pass is doable. Looking forward to it!
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I think Bench provides a good base since it's both scenic and technically a bit remote. We may take it for granted, but if you consider the most direct routes available are Taboose, Sawmill via White fork or the SHR from RE (still, you have to cross the S fork), then it definitely qualifies as a challenging hike.

Taking a day hike to check out Arrow pass from a base camp would provide a good group activity without any pressure to continue or make it to the top/over if it turned out to be too sketch. Of course, it could be a cake walk, but with axe & spikes, it would still be a fun chance to practice some skills.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

richlong8 wrote:Well, I thought I would check in and see if the Meetup is still on, and it sounds like it is, right?, so I am going, if it is still on.
It's still on Rich
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

We will pass Bench 6 days ahead of the meetup. Unless something goes totally sideways with our schedule and plans, we won't be there this year. I have it on our route plan, in case we have to abort our planned schedule early, and then find us with time to re-enter at Taboose or Sawmill for a few more days before heading home. I guess the Taboose permits just ahead of the meet may be harder than usual to come by.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

after speaking with Mav, we agree this would be the prime spot.

https://caltopo.com/m/T1GN