Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by Harlen »

Great spot for a rendezvous Maverick. Laurel Creek, with the stunning Red and White Mountain, was the highlight of our favorite hike two summers ago. The photo above is of Bear perched up on Silver Divide.
IMG_0986.JPG
I would imagine that these "meet-ups' are perfect for creative car trading between folks like we've pulled off a few times, i.e., meet in Bishop, or ??, exchange cars, make a plan where to leave each others keys, and then drive off and hike in from your respective trailheads. Meet up in Laurel Creek, and then hike off to your own cars. Have you used this trick before Karl? Anybody? Best of luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Harlen on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

I've never done it. I'm 99% solo, but sounds cool if it would work.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hey Karl,

.... re. the "car swapping," you get to maintain your solo travel all the way into Laurel Creek, and then away back to your car; it's just a matter of saying hello at the "meet-up" spot, exchanging car keys, (though we recommend stashing them under the car tires instead) and then going solo on your respective merry ways- back toward your own car, which was parked by your friend at McGee or Convict Creek, while your friend is hiking toward their car, that you parked for them at Pine Creek, or wherever.

We once swapped cars and keys with a good friend in Laguna, and drove their car up to Crescent Meadow, and they drove ours to Shepherd's TH on the east side. The meeting place in the center was Kaweah Basin, which we hit via Pyra Queen Col. It became a debacle, which had nothing to do with the original plan, so I'll save that crazy story for another day.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I did a car exchange with my son's scout troop years ago. I planned a one-way 50 miler for them from Giannelli Cabin trailhead on the west side of Emigrant Wilderness, over the crest to Leavitt Meadows on the east side of the Hoover Wilderness. Then my wife and I did the same trip in reverse. We left our car at Giannelli Cabin and drove the two cars of the scout masters over to Leavitt Meadows. But in our case, they gave us extra keys which we just locked in the cars after we parked them at Leavitt Meadow and started our backpack. They took their own set of keys with them (and of course, we had our own keys to our car). That way, although we planned to meet up with them in the middle, if we missed, we each still had our own car keys to drive home.
-Phil
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

That is a beautiful area, but I have been through there twice in the last few years. I was looking forward to Bear Lakes Basin. . .

It's definitely a beautiful spot!
61.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hi Andy,

Aren't you one of the masters of the Long Distance Grind sort of trip? "Bear" once led Lizzie and me into Bear Basin via Lake Ed., up and over White Bear Pass, over "Gabbot Pass," down to Mono and out. A young, "Ultra-light Man" such as yourself could easily pull off the additional jaunt up Laurel Creek, and on up Red and White Mountain too! Well why not?

p.s There's an interesting and direct line straight up the south face.
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

Hi Harlen,

It is tempting to revisit the area possibly as part of a Silver Divide east/west "traverse", and I've never climbed Red and White Mountain. I have been through along the SHR route via Gabbot Pass, Mills Creek Lakes (one of my favorite spots), up Laurel Creek then over Bighorn (once in either direction). It would be a first for Candy and she would love to meet the HST crew, so it's starting to look more likely. . .
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Harlen,

Are you, Lizzie, and Bear attending?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Jeez, this might turn into a couple's retreat. Mav, what have you wrought?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Jeez, this might turn into a couple's retreat. Mav, what have you wrought?
:)
Who needs Match.com!

Would really like a few folks with dogs to attend, it will be a while before we have another Meet-up location where dogs allowed. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org