Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by maverick »

Several of us will be heading back to towards McGee Sat morning, so we will be there both days, plus Sat morning. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Several of us will be heading back to towards McGee Sat morning, so we will be there both days, plus Sat morning. :)
Maverick (and others), what do you think is the shortest exit route from Grinnel Lake to McGee trailhead?. . . north over Pace Col and around to McGee Pass, or east over Grinnel Col and then over Hopkins Pass? Or some other route?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Maverick (and others), what do you think is the shortest exit route from Grinnell Lake to McGee trailhead?. . . north over Pace Col and around to McGee Pass, or east over Grinnell Col and then over Hopkins Pass? Or some other route?
Quickest and easiest route is over Grinnell-Hopkins Ridge, starting your ascent from the southeastern peninsula in the larger Grinnell Lake, then descend down into the Hopkins drainage, ascend up to Upper Hopkins Lake and then over Hopkins Pass to McGee Lake, but I would also visit Lower Hopkins, pretty lake.
This is the route I would be doing if I was coming in solo.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I have never gone over Mono Pass before, so I might go in that way, instead of McGee, then up the Laurel lake route to Grinnell lake, then either come back by McGee Pass, Hopkins drainage, or Pioneer Basin to Mono Creek. I think that the fishing might be better in the Hopkins drainage. I have fished Mono down by the Muir and the fishing was great. Also, the cross country looks pretty easy. I am taking my German Short Hair, who is about a year old. Any thoughts, anyone.
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

maverick wrote:
Maverick (and others), what do you think is the shortest exit route from Grinnell Lake to McGee trailhead?. . . north over Pace Col and around to McGee Pass, or east over Grinnell Col and then over Hopkins Pass? Or some other route?
Quickest and easiest route is over Grinnell-Hopkins Ridge, starting your ascent from the southeastern peninsula in the larger Grinnell Lake, then descend down into the Hopkins drainage, ascend up to Upper Hopkins Lake and then over Hopkins Pass to McGee Lake, but I would also visit Lower Hopkins, pretty lake.
This is the route I would be doing if I was coming in solo.
Something like this?
July Meetup.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, that is the route, except for the zig-zaging up the ridge, makes me dizzy, like a downhill super slalom. :lol:

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Ok, I think I have my itinerary finally dialed in. Probably unlike the majority of hikers, I like to walk out Friday afternoons. That way, I can get cleaned up, crash, and head for home Sat around 5am. It takes 4 hours from Lone Pine, so I can walk thru the door and enjoy the entire weekend with my SO.

Alrighty, so now that I've supplied TMI, that's what drives my scheduling. The meet-up location looks to be around 15 miles from the Mono pass/LLV TH, so that will be my targeted exit point. However, I'm also open to hiking to McGee via the Mav ridge & Hopkins, since the distance looks pretty similar.

This leaves my entry point open. I could come in via Pine creek, but will need to get a ride back from LLV or McGee. Because of the nature of these THs, it looks to be a pretty expensive shuttle, so it would either be hitch or hike in/out with another attendee. The other issue is anyone leaving Friday would need to be heading south; a lot of peeps are from the Bay area. That would be driving heading the wrong way - it's a possible straight shot back home from McGee/LLV, so no one will want to waste (nor would I ask) energy/time going in reverse.

So, the net-net is I'll probably come in via Mono, head up to Pioneer, explore a bit, and play it by ear, probably come in over the Mav ridge. If I can get out via McGee and get a ride back to my car, then great, otherwise I'll just head back to LLV along the trail the whole way.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am going in and exiting by Mono Pass, a July 21 entry, but I am tentatively planning on an exit day of Sunday, 7/29, or possibly Saturday,7/28. If I change my mind, and decide or have to go out Friday, of course, I will drop you off, but this might be my only long trip of the year, and I am leaning in favor of being out the whole 9 days.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I have never gone over Mono Pass before, so I might go in that way, instead of McGee, then up the Laurel lake route to Grinnell lake, then either come back by McGee Pass, Hopkins drainage, or Pioneer Basin to Mono Creek. I think that the fishing might be better in the Hopkins drainage. I have fished Mono down by the Muir and the fishing was great. Also, the cross country looks pretty easy. I am taking my German Short Hair, who is about a year old. Any thoughts, anyone.
You have a lot of routes to choose from Rich.
Mono>Laurel>Grinnell>Grinnell Ridge>Hopkins Drainage>Crocker Col>Pioneer Basin>Mono Pass. Crocker eastern side should be easier with no snow, but still a steep talus/boulder mix, is your dog comfy with solid class 2 passes? You could also use Sanford Pass from Pioneer Basin to access Steelhead Lake in McGee Lakes Basin instead of going back over Mono Pass, or do Mono>Laurel>Grinnell Ridge>Hopkins Drainage>Hopkins Pass>Big McGee Lake, which is an easier version. :)

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Here's an aerial video of the meet-up location taken last fall. For those thinking of coming from the west, the hikers started at VVR. Also, note the trail dog, since this is Inyo and dog friendly.

https://youtu.be/HwzxKljnAZ8