Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Post by Jimr »

Let's hope for a lot of snow melt.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
alpinemike
Topix Expert

Post by alpinemike »

Mav.. I was under the impression you wouldn't be able to make it? And yes the mosquitoes were horrendous around Cement Table Meadow.. I'm impressed you managed to pull off camping there.
Never put off a backpacking trip for tomorrow, if you can do it today...
Alpine Mike-

http://mikhailkorotkinphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mav.. I was under the impression you wouldn't be able to make it? And yes the mosquitoes were horrendous around Cement Table Meadow.. I'm impressed you managed to pull off camping there.
Yeah, last minute changes allowed me to boogie out. Being properly prepared for them (mosquitoes), especially since I won't use any sprays (chemicals), is part of it, keeping positive frame of mind, and not letting them mess with my psyche is another. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I watched lightning strike Big Bird Peak, and I felt that (scary) static buzz feeling while traversing the shores of Moose Lake. I dropped to Alta Meadow and enjoyed the thunderstorms from a safe distance.
That is a scary feeling Victor, have had that happen a few times when shooting storms, but still, the closest I have had a lightning bolt hit was about 100 ft, while I was under my tarp in the forest waiting out the storm cell, about 10 minutes away from the Roaring River Ranger Station. It was an extremely loud thunder clap, I could see the thick bolt hit right near the trail, and could smell the ozone in the air afterwards. After the cell moved on, continued to the station for the night, later some backpackers came in saying, that they ran down Deadman Canyon, with bolts hitting on both sides of them several times.
Yes, Tablelands is definitely a bad place to be in an electrical storm for sure, but Deadman doesn't offer a whole lot of cover either, until one gets down towards the northern end of the canyon.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org