Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Post by Dave_Ayers »

At this point, I sounds like we are down to just Flamingo, Ashery, and I with Oleander and Cameron as possibles. Did I miss anyone?

Given that very low number, I suggest postponing one month to 8/25. Perhaps that will help boost attendance.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Did I miss anyone?
Yes, rightstar76, sekihiker, Saltydog, limpingcrab, Rockyroad, and at least 3 additional members who were also interested back 3 months ago, but not sure about their status.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I’m still a maybe. I’m starting on the Alta trail and depending on snow, weather, and if I can find a way down to Deadman, I may just hang out in the Tableland area.
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

I haven't been able to make any of the meetups that Maverick so thoughtfully tries to organize (and can't make this one, either), mostly because of other commitments, but also sometimes because they seemed too difficult to access, particularly on a shorter time schedule. So here's a suggestion: why not pick locations that can be reached in a single long day from a trailhead, so those with less time could still try to make it? Those with more time could do the meetup at the beginning or end of their longer hike. Those who are slower (like me) could take 1.5 or 2 days to get there. I think you would get more attendance with such a location. This year's location would take me 3 days to reach, and that assumes we didn't have this giant snowpack.
-Phil
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Yes, was planning to make next years Meetup location much easier to access, locations will be rotated by difficulty levels yearly. :)
Will also wait till April to announce the location, especially in a year when the location is a more difficult one, and may be impacted by the snow pack, like this year.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Not this one unfortunately. Would like to attend the next one. I really like wildhiker's idea. Think maverick is making some good changes here. :)
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

I'm very sorry, but I'm going to miss the meetup. :( Was looking forward to meeting new people and seeing old friends. Just can't make it work for me in this year's conditions.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I wanted to make this one too, but my usual hiking buddy Carleton just got busted up in wreck, and I am off to visit him- to wallow with him in his beer and misery. Lucky (relatively) bastard- broken neck- no paralysis, but scary shite. Yes, the bloody driving is more dangerous than the rest of the backpacking trip combined. Take care- hope the Meet-up is a great success.
carltonsleapsummer2009 322.jpg
Carleton in better days- (docs say he'll be fine with a few fused vertebrae.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Ashery
Topix Acquainted

Post by Ashery »

Bummer about all the last minute cancellations; it's one thing to have something major happen months prior, forcing one to reprioritize their time and bail, but it's another thing entirely to have the rug pulled out at the last minute.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well for those wondering what do do now?

Just successfully submitted for a reserved permit out of Glen Alpine trailhead in Desolation for 4 nights leisurely base camping in the Halfmoon zone. Will be near the end of this month. Anyone (f or m) want to loosely meet up there, send a PM. Late afternoon before permit starts, will likely night hike in the first couple miles to the wilderness border at 7.1k just beyond the Glen Alpine Springs buildings. Then the following sunrise continue on the following 2.5>3 miles to Half Moon zone.

Satellite shows Susie, Heather, Halfmoon, Gilmore melted out last week with minor patches of snow decreasing in surrounding lands. Area with colorful metamorphic rock and gnarly Sierra junipers. Thus in another week plus should be plenty of greenery and wildflowers making their mid summer appearance. Also some of the better lakes in the wilderness for fishing. Last year's trip into basin focused near Heather:

http://www.davidsenesac.com/2018_Trip_C ... html#jun21