Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

Another beautiful location, that offers multiple opportunities for fishing, peak bagging, various cross-country routes, and wildflower extravaganzas on the approaches. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cslaght
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Post by cslaght »

INTERESTING! Thank you Mav!
"The mountains are calling, but can't find my phone"

Charles
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Post by wildhiker »

Is there supposed to be a map? I see your announcement text and then a big blank area. Same thing with both Safari and Chrome browsers.
-Phil
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

wildhiker wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:39 pm Is there supposed to be a map? I see your announcement text and then a big blank area. Same thing with both Safari and Chrome browsers.
-Phil
Map embedding is broken since google got greedy with their API. Same reason GMAP4 had to shut down. Developers are now forced to use access keys (likely missing here) and need to be associated with a real billing account. There is now a significant cost associated with the use of their API once it exceeds a certain amount of uses each month.

https://developers.google.com/maps/bill ... nt-updates

The embedded map on this page like fails because the code does not conform with one or more of the new Google map API requirements that went into effect in mid July.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I see the map.. it has a warning, but I clicked ok and the map pops right up (chrome.)
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Is there supposed to be a map? I see your announcement text and then a big blank area. Same thing with both Safari and Chrome browsers.
-Phil
Yes there is.
Lake Basin located on the southwestern end of the Glacier Ridge. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
mort
Topix Regular

Post by mort »

OK, there are 4 (or 6) small lakes on small benches centered between the words "Deadman" and "Ridge" shown on the map. Does anybody have a plan to get up there with a pack? All approaches look to be steep or cliffy.
-mort
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

OK, there are 4 (or 6) small lakes on small benches centered between the words "Deadman" and "Ridge" shown on the map. Does anybody have a plan to get up there with a pack? All approaches look to be steep or cliffy.
-mort
Nothing complicated about getting up to the lakes or over the pass to visit Josephine Lake, and the descent into Cloud Canyon is not to bad either, as long as your are good at route finding, there have been some recent TR's to the area, and Old Ranger describes in spot on.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18921
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18984

OR wrote:
Just have to hit it right! Leaving Josephine you need to leave the outlet stream drainage at the tiny lakelet just below Josephine and go over the low ridge to the s. Then there is a user trail that goes e. just s. of the ridge then goes n over the ridge and thru trees gradually turning e. again. If you get too close to the creek you will get cliffed out. If you do this right the trail will disappear and you will need to head se across a narrow grassy crack that crosses a slab. This leads to a short chimney that leads to talus then turn left at the base of the chimney and go a short distance before descending the talus and some aspen before crossing the river at Cement Table meadow. I guess I got lucky the first time I did this route (in reverse) and hit it just right. Once going down I got stuck by getting too close to the outlet stream and had to backtrack to the correct route. The chimney part is easy and really doesn't require down climbing, it is more like a steep chute. Anyhow if you do it right it is a piece of cake. Do it wrong and it is b!tch!

Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Is there enough room for a group to camp up there? I have camped at the western lakes but not the lakes in the Josephine cirque. I honestly did not think the western lakes were that great, so I assume you mean the Josephine lakes. Right now my favorite spot in that vicinity is Big Bird Lake. Josephine has always been on my "to do" list. Hope I can make it.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

You can camp anywhere along the Glacier Ridge you would like Daisy, the Meet-up spot will be at the western lakes (9914 & 10004), there are some camp spots at these lakes and other parts of that basin, and one can access that area from Josephine via the class 2 pass west of Lake 11062, if they wanted to camp at Josephine and come over for a visit. :)
Did not choose Josephine because of impact a larger group would have, plus, there are even less sites available there, also, one could easily stay at Big Bird or Deadman Canyon (Ranger Meadow) and do a day hike up to the area for one of the Meet-up days too.