Sierra High Route Partner wanted

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
MGohlke
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Sierra High Route Partner wanted

Post by MGohlke »

I am looking for a backpacking partner for the Sierra High Route (Roper route), nobo, starting end of Aug (flexible with date) at roads end, Kings Canyon. Plan for completion in 14 days, ending at twin lakes. I have done parts of the SHR, and like to do the complete route this year. With a total of 195 miles, a lot off trial hiking, it will be physically demanding but it will be fun.If you are interested please send a response message and we can discuss the tour and figure out the fit.
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Re: Sierra High Route Partner wanted

Post by c9h13no3 »

Just a suggestion: You probably want to start with something small. Look for a partner to go on a day hiking trip. It's a big commitment to sign up for weeks off trail with a stranger. Not to mention, some people would worry about safety.
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I hope you can find someone, but if not, I did the route solo with very similar past experience as yours. Particularly since I had done a lot of the harder passes before, I felt quite comfortable doing them alone. I met people along the way too for a bit of company. Having the right partner would be great; however a partner can be a benefit or a burden. Totally agree that you should do some short trips 2-3 days with anyone who expresses interest before agreeing to the SHR. Make sure your hiking styles and goals are on the same page. As for safety, carrying a PLB will be a good backup. Good Luck!
MGohlke
Topix Newbie
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by MGohlke »

Thank you c9h13no3 and Wandering Daisy (I read many of your posts-thanks) for your input. I think we share the same thoughts. Responding to my post and expressing interest in hiking the SHR is just a start (but we need to start somewhere). Before making a commitment for a long trip such as the SHR, both parties need to figure out the fit, expectations, experience and limitataions, meet in person to get to know each other and do a shorter trip together. If it works out-great, if not- it was worth the try.
As it seems unlikely to find a hiking partner, I am preparing for a solo hike. To your point regaring a PBL, I carry a Inreach with me.