2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

Post by maverick »

Considering something different for this coming year.
Would like to see how much interest there would be, in you attending a Fri-Sun “HST Jamboree”, at a group site in Tuolumne Meadows.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
wildhiker
Topix Fanatic

Re: 2020 HST Meetup

Post by wildhiker »

Yes, I would definitely try to attend such a meetup. I would probably combine it with a backpack trip before or after.
-Phil
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

My only concern would be getting a campsite during the peak season.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Agreed. In the past, the TM campground policy was 1/2 reserved, 1/2 first come - first served. Last year they (the dufuses who now handle all Yosemite campground reservations) "double booked" the entire campground and thus few to none available sites for those who just drove up without a reservation...sucked big time. Who knows about next season's TM reservation policy?

On another note, TM camp sites B 20, 21, and 22 are located just behind the tent area where the employees (like me - #9) live. We have close access to locked flush toilets and hot showers that could be shared with friends. If you do have this meet-up here next year, try for one of those sites and then maybe, you guys could even eat (contributions incouraged) dinner with us, the TM employees. (OldRanger did just this last year.)...had smoked Kokanee, tri-tip, and drank good bourbon. (Thanks Mike!)
Let me know beforehand and maybe I can assist.
mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm in if you get a reservation. I can head up to Evelyn before or after.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Yes, I would be interested!

PS -- I'm still interested in a "classic" HST meetup at a wilderness location, although I realize that we've had bad luck with weather (and maybe dwindling group interest?).
Last edited by Flamingo on Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

We’ll have our regular backcountry meetup next year (2021) Flamingo, weather or no weather. ;)
Wanted to give, all our members, a chance to me each other, in an easy front country location this year. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rightstar76
Topix Expert

Post by rightstar76 »

Sounds like an excellent idea to have 2 meetups. Hot showers in the front country for one and dips into the lake in the backcountry for the other. I am definitely interested.
ChuckSten
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by ChuckSten »

Excellent idea! I'd like to attend.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

pro
Likely to be larger turnout of members.
Good driving to balance for diverse group between southern and northern California.
More possible ways for group to spend 3 days day hiking right from a roadside camp than maybe anywhere else.
Could drive to nearby locations for group day hikes.
Much climbing nearby within camp walking distance.
Some fishing within camp walking distance.
Plenty of photo opportunities from dawn to dusk.
Allows late decisions without complicating permits or hiking time to reach gathering.
Near facilities and store.
August past squeet season.

con
Fee to enter park.
Online reservation policy for extremely popular camp sites especially a weekend.
Ear plugs required.
Fees for campground. 304 tent sites at $26 night for up to 6 people. 7 group campsites for 13>30 people at $50 a night = $100 plus ? fees.