2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: 2020 HST Meetup

Post by oldhikerQ »

I would love to attend in August. Willing to accept that there will be crowds, focus on meeting new friends instead. The Mrs and i stopped in TM on September 14 on our way from the valley to Mammoth. She dropped me off in Mammoth with the boys and headed to Placerville to see her sister. TM was lovely that day.
Weekend after Labor Day wouldn't work for me as that is the weekend we start our annual week long backpack.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I — I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost
c9h13no3
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 1 Hiker

Post by c9h13no3 »

oldhikerQ wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:00 amwouldn't work for me as that is the weekend we start our annual week long backpack.
I hear you can start backpacking trips from Tuolumne Meadows. Might be some places nearby too, not really sure though.

Sorry, that was too easy. I hate being *that guy* but when you tee yourself up like that...
"Adventure is just bad planning." - Roald Amundsen
Also, I have a blog no one reads. Please do not click here.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

You're kind of turning out to be "that guy."
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

OR, from recreation.gov..

"Overview
Tuolumne Meadows Campground is located in breathtaking Yosemite National Park in Central California's rugged Sierra Nevada Mountain Range at an elevation of 8,600 feet. The site is situated along the scenic Tioga Road just five miles from the Tioga Pass Entrance Station. Within Yosemite, visitors can gaze upon waterfalls, sheer granite cliffs, deep valleys, grand meadows, ancient giant sequoias, vast wilderness areas, and so much more. Yosemite National Park's reservable campsites are available up to five months in advance on the 15th of each month at 7:00 a.m. (PT) or 10:00 a.m. (ET). For example, on January 15, the time period May 15 to June 14 becomes available to reserve, and therefore, the full booking window would be from January 16 to June 14. Yosemite National Park Campground Reservation Dates
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

rlown wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:57 pm OR, from recreation.gov..

"Overview
Tuolumne Meadows Campground is located in breathtaking Yosemite National Park in Central California's rugged Sierra Nevada Mountain Range at an elevation of 8,600 feet. The site is situated along the scenic Tioga Road just five miles from the Tioga Pass Entrance Station. Within Yosemite, visitors can gaze upon waterfalls, sheer granite cliffs, deep valleys, grand meadows, ancient giant sequoias, vast wilderness areas, and so much more. Yosemite National Park's reservable campsites are available up to five months in advance on the 15th of each month at 7:00 a.m. (PT) or 10:00 a.m. (ET). For example, on January 15, the time period May 15 to June 14 becomes available to reserve, and therefore, the full booking window would be from January 16 to June 14. Yosemite National Park Campground Reservation Dates
Ok Russ remind me in early April when it matters. Then give me a call at 6:30 am on April 15.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Alarm set..
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks c9... Hadn't thought of that :-k ..not.
We actually have a starting point in Dana Meadows as our groups first option for 2020. Since we are an ever morphing gang of up to 6 geezers, depending on health and family issues, all with equal say, i have only 1/6 of the decision making responsibility. Another rub is that one of our group is strictly limited to one calendar week; he drives up on Saturday, we start Sunday, finish hiking the following Saturday and shuffle home Sunday. So if the festivities would have to be pretty much over for me by lunch time Saturday to make my longstanding appointment. Earlier if a different trip makes our final cut.
Besides, being only one of many voices, i don't expect that my availability the 2020 meetup would impact the groups plans in any significant manner.
Thanks for the poke, though... :)
Robert Frost
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

3 nights Sept. 11, 12, 13.
Ok, that works Mike, hopefully it works for the rest of our members. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oldranger
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Post by oldranger »

oldhikerQ wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 3:03 pm Thanks c9... Hadn't thought of that :-k ..not.
We actually have a starting point in Dana Meadows as our groups first option for 2020. Since we are an ever morphing gang of up to 6 geezers, depending on health and family issues, all with equal say, i have only 1/6 of the decision making responsibility. Another rub is that one of our group is strictly limited to one calendar week; he drives up on Saturday, we start Sunday, finish hiking the following Saturday and shuffle home Sunday. So if the festivities would have to be pretty much over for me by lunch time Saturday to make my longstanding appointment. Earlier if a different trip makes our final cut.
Besides, being only one of many voices, i don't expect that my availability the 2020 meetup would impact the groups plans in any significant manner.
Thanks for the poke, though... :)
I expect that many people will make only part of the weekend. No worries! So if you show up for one night then take off the next morning that is fine. Also the backpackers camp is really close for those who don't want to sleep in the middle of things. The reason for Sunday night reservation is so that people won't feel compelled to leave early, but if everyone leaves before Sunday evening that is ok too.
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
oldhikerQ
Topix Regular

Re: 2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

Post by oldhikerQ »

Thanks Mike. It's on my calendar now.
Robert Frost