2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: 2020 HST Meetup

Post by SSSdave »

maverick wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:37 pm
pro
Likely to be larger turnout of members.
Good driving to balance for diverse group between southern and northern California.
More possible ways for group to spend 3 days day hiking right from a roadside camp than maybe anywhere else.
Could drive to nearby locations for group day hikes.
Much climbing nearby within camp walking distance.
Some fishing within camp walking distance.
Plenty of photo opportunities from dawn to dusk.
Allows late decisions without complicating permits or hiking time to reach gathering.
Near facilities and store.
August past squeet season.

con
Fee to enter park.
Online reservation policy for extremely popular camp sites especially a weekend.
Ear plugs required.
Fees for campground. 304 tent sites at $26 night for up to 6 people. 7 group campsites for 13>30 people at $50 a night = $100 plus ? fees.
So after all that, does that mean your in Dave, can I beam you up? :unibrow:
I would like to find out if my new Oben tripod can bonk people as I walk about as well as the old Induro and such a gathering ought to offer much opportunity. :D
schmalz
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2020 HST Meetup 9/11-9/13

Post by schmalz »

Sign me up. I'll be doing a couple big dayhikes if I make it, so if anyone else is interested in joining on those, hit me up.
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
oldranger
Topix Addict

Re: 2020 HST Meetup

Post by oldranger »

SSSdave wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:02 am

I would like to find out if my new Oben tripod can bonk people as I walk about as well as the old Induro and such a gathering ought to offer much opportunity. :D

Now dave! I've watched maverick search out his locations for evening and am shots. I'd like to go scouting for your locations one day with you. I'm amazed at the patience it takes to consistently take good photos. Much more than catching fish!
Mike

Who can't do everything he used to and what he can do takes a hell of a lot longer!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sign me up. I'll be doing a couple big dayhikes if I make it, so if anyone else is interested in joining on those, hit me up.
:thumbsup: Will be good to see you again!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

maverick wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:28 pm Considering something different for this coming year.
Would like to see how much interest there would be, in you attending a Fri-Sun “HST Jamboree”, at a group site in Tuolumne Meadows.
Much more interested than in any of the backcountry locations over the last few years. This would be accessible to a lot more people, many of whom (myself included) were effectively excluded by holding it in places 2-3 days' hike in.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Well the subject of where one might do some photography in the Tuolumne Meadows zone is certainly one providing lots of choices all of us can discuss. We would have 2 full days and a partial. Preferably at least one group hike everyone can join that isn't too strenuous and doesn't take most of the day. Early September isn't optimal for sunrise or sunset as the Sierra Crest blocks sunrise and the rising dusk Earth shadow sky while sunset is blocked by the Mt Hoffman and Tuolumne Peak ridge. Thus any early or late landscapes minus uncommon high clouds to reflect light down would be limited to silhouettes of trees. But that means more socializing time for the group to share dinner time at campground. Early September is a good time for dwarf bilberry fall leaf color in turfy areas above 9.5k.

Photographically, Cathedral Range areas work better in afternoon light, thus not in the morning. The Cathedral Lakes and Peak area is better accessed driving to Virgin Dome then hiking up the fun short climber's use trail to the base of Medlicott Dome and then to lower Cathedral Lake. People could optionally hike back to the campground via the trail.

One easy early morning fun destination right from the campground would be down the PCT and then climb class 2 dome 8715 that has a superb mid morning view towards the Cathedral Range. Then could come down east and do a fun half mile crosscountry forest and bedrock hike across Dingley Creek then northwest to dome 8924, a world of interesting granite bedrock slabs with some fine junipers. Then could drop down to the river and return via the PCT. Also some nice bedrock whitewater river areas between the upper and lower meadows to play in the water. And for fishermen there are always numbers of pan sized eastern brook and brown trout where that flows into the lower meadow.

Another interesting afternoon hike would be a short drive to park at Pothole Dome, then climb up the class 2 east end of East Cottage Dome that has excellent views and then down the saddle between West Cottage Dome in the deep red fir forest with the ponds and up on dome 8906. There are more rarely visited domes to the east. I backpacked there decades ago when a spring snowstorm occurred that deposited 11 inches of snow. Excellent views of domes and Cathedral Range including some fine junipers.
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

I'm in.
bobby49
Topix Fanatic

Post by bobby49 »

SSSdave wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:19 pm Early September isn't optimal for sunrise or sunset as the Sierra Crest blocks sunrise and the rising dusk Earth shadow sky while sunset is blocked by the Mt Hoffman and Tuolumne Peak ridge.
I always found the shot to be not at sunrise, but immediately after sunrise and shooting away from the sun. Situate the camera at the Upper Young Lake and point toward Ragged Peak. Shoot about one or two minutes after the sun shines on the top of the peak.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I'm in.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I always found the shot to be not at sunrise, but immediately after sunrise and shooting away from the sun. Situate the camera at the Upper Young Lake and point toward Ragged Peak. Shoot about one or two minutes after the sun shines on the top of the peak.
Does this mean that you will be coming, and show us this special spot of yours Bobby? :nod: