Partner/s for Mt. Whitney's East Face late April

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
illyav
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Partner/s for Mt. Whitney's East Face late April

Post by illyav »

Hi all,

Of course this plan is tentative with everything going on during our pandemic, but I want to plan a 2 or 3 day hike / scramble / climb up Whitney's East Face during the last week of April before permit requirements begin May 1st. I have a friend willing to do it at a later date but I'd like to attempt it later this month. I'm keeping an eye out on snow and avalanche conditions on social media posts and I'll keep an eye on the weather forecasts as the time frame approaches. As for info. on my peakbagging experience, I've summited all 15 of CA's 14ers, and this would be my 6th Whitney summit. Last summer I used rope and pro. on Polemonium Peak, Starlight Peak, and Thunderbolt Peak. All 15 summits are documented on my YouTube channel in this playlist: [youtube_vid]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... ii6SKTrbCE[/youtube_vid]

Thanks!
Illya
Harlen
Topix Addict

Re: Partner/s for Mt. Whitney's East Face late April

Post by Harlen »

Hey Illya,

I know for sure that I love your choice in music! Those are all great songs, at least as far as the soundtrack to your Polemonium Peak video where I stopped. Really nice, and so I'll go if you will pump the same songs into my headset for the whole climb!

Actually, I don't own any music system short of my old turntable-record-player. So now you have probably figured out that I am an old fart--I'll hit 60 this year. I am keen to climb Whitney's East Face before I turn to dust though, and reckon I am up to at least the standard routes 5.8 or under. Just reread an account in Peter Crofts' book where he extols the virtues of flashing the whole thing in a day--the climb (5.7 route) in 2.5 hours. I see that you are willing to do the climb in somewhat more time than that Illya, and so am I :eek: . Hiking in to the base 1 day, climb and return the 2nd, and out the third works best for me, but you could shoot off, down and out if you like on the second. Feel free to PM me for details if you like, Ian.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Illya, and other adventurers,

We both forgot the request on the part of the Sheriff's Departments, and SAR team leadership, et al, to refrain from any sort of adventuring that has a fair likelihood of injury and need for rescue. I would think that planning easy ski tours, and hiking trips are more the direction we should take under these uncertain circumstances. Lets keep in touch about future climbing trips Illya. What do you think? Harlen.
illyav
Topix Acquainted

Post by illyav »

Right on Harlen! I'm stoked you're willing to go. And yes I've been hoping the restrictions would be lifted (at least for the backcountry) sometime in April but we'll see. They predict the pandemic's peak will be in the second week of April so hopefully we can get out there soon after that. Thanks for reaching out and we'll just play it by ear in these uncertain circumstances. I will keep in touch through PMs.

Also, I'm glad you like the videos' music! They are free tracks in YouTube Studio. There's a certain mellow sound I like, preferably with acoustic guitar, so all my chosen instrumentals kinda sound the same lol.

Illya
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

I am glad you are still considering the climb, and I too hope it can work. My family and I are as healthy as ever- so far, and I tend toward optimism--at least in personal things like this. I do want to do my part toward overcoming the pandemic, and I guess our traveling about is considered irresponsible by some. Most paired climbers will have to break the proximity rules at times during the climb, and we'll be handling the same gear over and over. We would have to admit that we are taking a risk of infecting each other, right?

Assuming we do decide to risk it, what is the route you will choose- I see this as your plan, and nice of you to offer the partnership. I am a very happy and solid follower, but not secure at all placing gear as a leader. It's only that I have done so little of it. The sum of my technical climbing has been joining more experienced friends here and there, and following them up, and a lot of top-roping with the boys and friends. I've been up some 5.9, 5.10 climbs in the Needles area- I remember only one unforgettable route name: "White Punks on Dope," I found these routes fairly easy, but that was what- 25 years ago? It's lucky that we just get stronger with age. :( In general I enjoy face-climbing, and dislike small crack-climbing. I sent you a lot more B.S. in a PM, so we can move over there; I was just curious how our half-plan to meet up and climb would be received by others, and what we can learn about any new closures and rules from our HST community. Hopefully, Ian.
illyav
Topix Acquainted

Post by illyav »

Thanks again for responding Ian! I have replied in PM.