Bishop Pass June 11 - Hiking Partner wantd

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
bharmandvm
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Bishop Pass June 11 - Hiking Partner wantd

Post by bharmandvm »

Have early season multi-way permit Bishop Pass to Dusy Basin June 11, 2021. Permit for 2 but hiking partner can't make it. Low snow year but likely still snow over pass. 2-4 days. I am a veterinarian and I hike with a Border Collie too! Vaccinated
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Re: Bishop Pass June 11 - Hiking Partner wantd

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I interpreted your post that you want to take your dog. I do not believe dogs are allowed in Dusy Basin.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

I interpreted your post that you want to take your dog. I do not believe dogs are allowed in Dusy Basin.
https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/pets.htm
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
BigMan
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by BigMan »

If this is inappropriate, please delete, but I just did a quick 3-nighter into Dusy Basin and saw one dog going in to the Basin and two dogs coming out.

It used to be I'd rarely see dogs where they're not allowed. Now it's almost every trip. That's not an exaggeration.

These dog owners must know their dogs aren't allowed - there are notifications everywhere (permits, signs, etc.) - they just don't care.

Problem is, in my experience, the rangers don't care, either. Not enough to actually cite the dog owners, which is the only way they'll change their behavior. Lectures won't do that.

Places I've seen dogs on trails within the last couple of years - Kings Canyon, Pt. Reyes, Prairie Creek (both Fern Canyon and the redwood trails), Death Valley, Lake Berryessa, to name just a few.

Bums me out because I like dogs and love seeing them where they're allowed.
In wilderness lies the hope of the world.