Topix Carcamp Sept 29-30

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
MooseTracks
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by MooseTracks »

And some scotch to warm from the inside, too! :unibrow:

Mmmm... scotch...
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Hey! Are we going to potluck Saturday night or just hit the big city and go to Pizza Factory? Either is okay with me, was just wondering.....
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

I don't want to haul my stove up with me - I'm for grabbing dinner at the pizza factory. if we are camping at LP Campground - fires are permitted - bring wood for Saturday night.

I will probably sleep along the way up Friday night - meeting at OV trailhead at 7:30am
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

update 9/26

Post by Snow Nymph »

We have 2 campsites reserved at Lone Pine Campground for Sat night only. ($48) Campfires allowed, so bring firewood

We're allowed 6 people/site, and 2 vehicles. Extra vehicles are $5 (I didn't pay for those). No campers allowed. Check-in is 2pm Sat, out by 1pm Sun.

We have sites #16 and #32.

Rosie has a site for Friday, and might have space.

Saturday hike: Onion Valley to Snow Crown. Meet at Onion Valley campground 7:30am.

Sunday hike: depends on how many people stay. Options are Dragon Peak or Kearsarge Peak.

Showers at Boulder Creek RV Park (3 mi south of Lone Pine), or at Diaz Lake RV Park (2 mi south of Lone Pine).

Dinner at Pizza Factory ? or we can discuss options Trailtrekker suggested a potluck? If so, I'll probably pick up something in Lone Pine

Who’s going and vehicle
Snow Nymph - Blue FJ Cooler (Got Mountains? sticker on back window)
Rosabella - rental
Tomcat - Green Ford Ranger (Got Mountains? sticker on back window)
QuentinC - Beige and rust Camry (needs a sticker to keep it running)
Trailtrekker White Ford Ranger (Got Mountains? sticker on back window)
Ranboze - Gray 4Runner
Trekker - White Ford Probe
Ridgeline - riding with Trail Bud
Trail Bud - Tuareg - dark blue? (Got Mountains? sticker on back window)
MooseTracks - Orange Honda Element

Rosie, I'll send you my new cell #
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

So...I'm in SoCal for the two family weddings, and was up to my ears in cakes and frosting making the wedding cake for the first of the two weddings last weekend:

I'm SOOO looking forward to this coming weekend. I'll be heading to Lone Pine Friday morning.... for those coming up early on Friday - I've reserved both spaces that Cori reserved (spaces #16 and 32) so we won't have to shift around Saturday. See y'all this weekend!
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

Mmmm... Pizza Factory. They might want me to patch the hole in the wall from the champagne cork incident of two weeks ago... I'll go incognito and NOT wear the moose hat! :D

OK, don't laugh, but I have yuppie logs to contribute (aka: Duraflame knock-offs). Between this and Yosemite next weekend I'll want them gone!

As of right now, I'm heading up Friday early afternoon. (Of course, by saying that I'll get slammed with new evaluations all day!) Rosabella, let me know how much you'd like me to contribute for the site, and thanks again for getting the reservations!

See y'all there!

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

Rosabella- amazing cake! wow. did you make one for all of us? :) just kidding!

So, sounds like Pizza Factory in LP Saturday? More input?
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

I drove thru the campground a couple weeks ago. Spaces are on the small side with room barely for 2 vehicles/site. Not sure how many folks plan on sleeping in their vehicle or bringing a tent. I opt for the bit warmer temp inside my vehicle. We may have to get more sites on Sat, as available, to accomodate the extra vehicles. It shouldn't be a problem. I tried to reserve another spot yesterday, but was a day late for the 5-day minimum reservation window (funny, tue-wed-thur-fri-sat seems 5 days to me, but I guess the FS uses some sort of new math).

I'll be driving up from SoCal Fri afternoon and grabbing dinner at PF. Sat at PF is good for me as well... it will minimize the food storage issue as well. Speaking of food storage, I wonder if my cooler is still in the Portal bear box? Hmmm... I may have to take a side trip up there to see if it is.

Rosie - count me in for Fri, as discussed. Will likely be there after dark. Woohoo :-)

Breakfast at the HS cafe?????
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Maybe we can climb Rosabella's cake on Sunday instead of Dragon. I'd get to try out my new crampons. :)
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

Or we can do Pancake Mountain!

I'll be sleeping in my truck. I can camp anywhere, so I'll hang out til the party dies, then drive down the road to sleep. So that will free up one space for Sat night.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;