Topix Carcamp Sept 29-30

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Trekker
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Trekker »

I was hoping to head out early on Friday, but I had a client have to reschedule from Thursday to Friday afternoon, and it's good money, so I'll be leaving later in the teeth of rush hour traffic. Hopefully I'll get lucky and not go insane. :retard: Hoping to make it not later than 11 pm. Since I do not have a truck, a space for my tent would be great! Of course I'll spring for my share on both days.

QuentinC, a Tuareg is a 4wd (I believe) Volkswagon that has VERY warm seats. Snowy said her FJ has them too, so now we know where to warm up after the hike! :nod:
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

I usually also sleep in the TOF, but I can bring my tent. I wonder if the air-mattress will fit inside of it!

Kinda sounds like we just need a space big enough for all the trucks? Maybe somethin' out in the Alabamas?

Just kickin' out a thought.

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Trekker wrote:QuentinC, a Tuareg is a 4wd (I believe) Volkswagon that has VERY warm seats. Snowy said her FJ has them too, so now we know where to warm up after the hike! :nod:
I wonder if Volkswagon named it after the Berber tribe (although I think the vehicile is a Touareg. Snowy, that is one hungry kid!

I'll also need tent space on Saturday night. And the Alabama Hills sound great, although I don't know if they hassle people camping there.
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

From the Wikipedia entry on the Volkswagen Touareg:

"The Touareg name is derived from the French moniker for the nomadic Tuareg tribe. The proper pronunciation is TWAH-reg, however it is commonly mispronounced as "Tour-egg".
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

Current point forecast from NOAA site for Friday night at the area of Lone Pine CG:

"Friday Night: Partly cloudy, with a low around 41. Windy, with a west northwest wind 35 to 38 mph decreasing to between 8 and 11 mph. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph."

Might have to rethink the tent idea! :eek:

Higher up the same winds but with 40% chance of snow. Consider yourself forewarned! :nod:
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

No worries! Just makes getting to sleep a little more interesting... :p
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

TB and I will be on our way Fri morning, probably eat at Whitney Portal or Pizza in town tomorrow night, will see all at OV trailhead 7:30 Sat. TB has his white (stretch) 4door Rubicon Jeep, mountains are calling sticker on the back, somewhere. Drive safe everyone.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

what's wrong with all you people - doesn't anyone work on a Friday anymore - or am I a dying breed.

turns out I have not switched jobs yet so taking Monday off to celebrate - I suppose everyone is heading home on Sunday too.

ok 730 at trailhead - Snow Crown is destination - although I do not expect any snow encountered for our trip
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Trailtrekker06
Topix Regular

Post by Trailtrekker06 »

yeah , see ya all at the TH Saturday morning. I don't know when I will be getting out of work, end of month is nutty and this month is super busy, so who knows. Sometimes by the time I get to Lone Pine , I'm done and sleep in the truck, othewise, I'll try to make it up to OV. Drive safe!
Yahoo! WEEKEND!!!
Lewis
Topix Acquainted

Weather Report.................Film at 11

Post by Lewis »

Here's the latest weather report from the National Weather Service for the the Onion Valley @ 12K feet.
http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/forecast/MapCli ... 4&map.y=66

To the just to the south the report is sunny.
Looks like theres a possible chance of snow or rain on Sat.

Guess I will head up Onion Valley Road to SN's secret spot on Friday, should be there before sundown.

Dont know whats scariest?
1. Hanging out there till Snownymph shows up to protect me from the bears.
2. Climbing the last part of the peak.
3. The girl with the antlers
4. Or Snownymph and Ranbooze if I don't show :eek:

Oh my god my head is spining, where am I ?, Ok that does it ! This is the last time I spend the night after a hike drinking with Lewis!

She's gonna kill me yet !

~Lewis
"I'll hike with anybody,....... I'm not proud"

http://www.ghosttownexplorers.org