Topix Carcamp Sept 29-30

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by tomcat_rc »

thanks Trekker for the research - looks like we slide in just under the wire - count me in for sleeping in vehicle - I will contribute to camp fees
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

The bears are out in full force at Onion Valley. I heard reports from 2 people I know of vehicle damage at the trailhead. 3 cars were damaged, one a mercedes and another truck with a soft top. I forget what the 3rd one was. Its important to keep the vehicle looking 'clean'. Bears will break in for a roll of toilet paper if left on the seat. One of the vehicles had coolers inside. So bring tarps, blankets or anything to cover what's in the back of your vehicles. And smelly stuff should go in the bear boxes provided at the trailhead. A friend was there last weekend and saw the FJ, and said the break ins were next to where I parked, next to the Kearsarge Pass Trailhead.

Thanks for the info Trekker! Very helpful since I don't ever stay in campgrounds. Trailtrekker, let me know if you call for reservations, if not I will do it. e-mail me at work. I will be sleeping in the 'Chateau FJ Cooler'

If anyone wants to stay Fri or Mon, let me know asap before I make reservations. I'll wait til this afternoon to call. You can PM me to let me know
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rosabella
Founding Member

Post by Rosabella »

I'm not sure what vehicle I'll be driving, so I think I'll just plan on staying in the campground.

Trailtrekker, if you're going to be making the reservations, I think I'll get there on Friday, so I'll need two nights. With school already started by then, hopefully there will plenty of space available... it would be nice if we could get spaces near each other. I don't mind making my reservations (thanks, Trekker, for the info :) ); either way is fine....

So, I'm assuming we need to bring firewood... it's been a while since I've stayed at Onion Valley, but I don't remember firewood being available there. Obviously we'll bring whatever we want to eat/drink, but is there anything specific to a "forum get-together" that we need to know ;)
Trekker
Topix Regular

Post by Trekker »

So Snowy, if the bears are breaking into coolers, and your FJ looks like a giant cooler, is it possible that a bear could mistake your FJ for a cooler...........and you for an after dinner mint............ ? :D

By the way, 2 nights for me, Friday and Saturday. Thanks.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Things are not looking good for me this weekend, I would have to be there too early on Friday to make the shuttle from Reds Meadow at 7:00PM and you can't park at Agnew Meadow any more.

If I make the forum gathering, I could bring all the firewood we need in my pickup.
Piece of cake.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

I will call for OV reservations tomorrow after lunch. I'll get 1 site for Friday and 2 sites for Saturday.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ranboze
Topix Regular

Post by Ranboze »

I haven't done University Peak, so I'd be up for that on Sat and Snow Crown on Sun. Heck, Im up fer just about anything in the area... uh except that traverse across to Dragon's Peak.
Walking outside is where I find what's inside.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

University would be a heavy duty hike for most - with an early start - Snow Crown most everyone could do - Dragon you could do fine with Robin(with a good leader)
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
huts

Post by huts »

See y'all there. I will be sleeping in a truck camper.
TonyC
Topix Novice

Post by TonyC »

Snow Nymph wrote:The bears are out in full force at Onion Valley. I heard reports from 2 people I know of vehicle damage at the trailhead. 3 cars were damaged, one a mercedes and another truck with a soft top. I forget what the 3rd one was. A friend was there last weekend and saw the FJ, and said the break ins were next to where I parked, next to the Kearsarge Pass Trailhead.
I camped at Onion Valley last week for a couple of nights and was awoken one time to find a bear rattling the bear proof trash cans right by the bathroom bldg. I shined my headlamp on it and it ambled off.

I had a rental car with no additional insurance protection, so I'm sure glad one didn't mess with it...