Inyo SAR Incident Mt. Whitney 11/30

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Inyo SAR Incident Mt. Whitney 11/30

Post by maverick »

CHP IDAO:
H-80 responded to the Mt. Whitney summit for a rescue of a hiker who had been stranded in the summit hut for three days due to extreme weather. The hiker had attempted self rescue several times but had to retreat to the safety of the summit hut. The crew attempted a landing earlier in the day, but had to abort due to high winds. They waited a few hours and the conditions improved enough for a landing and rescue. They still fought 35 knot winds but were able to safely complete the mission.

This is a great example and testament of why we train in real life scenarios. We are always eager to show the great pics of our LZs and the beauty we fly in, but those are a side note to the great training we go through on a daily basis. Because of the training and experience of this crew, a very sketchy rescue mission was performed safely and efficiently. I am very proud of my team.
Attachments
mkc8sy.jpg
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org