Missing Hiker - SEKI - Gardiner Basin

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing Hiker - SEKI - Gardiner Basin

Post by maverick »

Cameron,

Your information has been forwarded to SAR. Let's hope this turns out positive.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Anyone else who has hiked through this area with any pertinent information
please write it up in this thread, it will be relayed to SAR.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Would recommend that they check the lower part of Gardiner Creek, there is
a lot of bush if one does not take the time to seek out the right route, and the
area right before reaching Mist Falls is the crux of this route, and potentially
the most dangerous. http://WildernessApertures.com/img/s6/v ... 1502-6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do not know the current levels of Woods Creek, but trying to cross above Mist
Falls is dangerous, a fall or misstep could have swept him over Mist Falls and
some where down river.

oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Regarding current conditions on part of the route - Charlotte Lake to Gardiner Pass, to the 9000-foot level in Gardiner Basin - SAR could call up Ranger Matt at White Mountain Ranger District. He walked that section around 7/31.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

An updated news release about the missing hiker was issued a short while ago. Unfortunately, the National Park Service's web interface appears to be down for maintenance at this time, so I cannot provide you with a link to the news release at this time. See text below...

Missing Hiker in Kings Canyon National Park

Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, CA – On Tuesday, August 19, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks’ staff, in cooperation with Yosemite National Park (Yosemite Search and Rescue and its canine team—YODOGs) and the California Highway Patrol, searched for missing hiker Gregory Muck in Kings Canyon National Park. The 46-year-old male from Santa Cruz, CA, was reported overdue from a backpacking trip. See photo and flyer.

Missing Hiker’s Itinerary:
On August 10, Muck departed alone from the Roads End area of Kings Canyon National Park. He planned to hike to Gardiner Basin via Gardiner Pass. After several days in the basin, he planned to hike out Gardiner Creek to Woods Creek and return to Roads End in Cedar Grove by August 17. On August 18, 2014, at approximately 8:00 a.m., Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks’ Dispatch Office was notified of the missing hiker via a phone call from Muck’s wife.

Identifying Features:
• Height: 6-feet-tall
• Race: White
• Weight: 160-170 lbs.
• Hair Color: Blond, Eye Color: Brown
• Big beard
• Blue bandana
• Bright blue shirt
• Red internal frame backpack
• Green wool pants
• Blue tarp or possible orange tent
• Black boots
• Fishing gear

Anyone with Possible Information--or who had been in this area of the park from
August 10-17, 2014:

Please call 559-565-3118 or 888-677-2746 with your name, contact info, and additional details.

Search Staffing:
• August 19, 2014: A total of 55 staff and partners searched by ground and helicopter, conducted interviews, and planned for the next day’s operation.
• August 18, 2014: A total of 21 park staff searched by ground, conducted interviews, and planned for the next day’s operation. In addition, parks’ staff handled two other search-and-rescue incidents.

Background:
• See flyer for basic information about the missing hiker -
http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/upload ... pdated.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
• A photograph of the missing hiker is available at -
http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/upload ... beard.jpeg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
meanstay
Topix Newbie

Post by meanstay »

Greg Muck is my brother in law. I'm trying to figure out what route he may have taken to Gardiner Pass from Bubbs Creek. Has anyone ever taken the route highlighted in red? Bubbs Creek to Glacier Monument to Gardiner Pass.
Gardiner Pass Via Bubbs Creek.pdf
Bubbs Creek to Gardiner pass
(4.9 MiB) Downloaded 337 times
Ska-T
Topix Regular

Post by Ska-T »

meanstay wrote:Greg Muck is my brother in law. I'm trying to figure out what route he may have taken to Gardiner Pass from Bubbs Creek.
If he took that general route he most likely would have gone up from Bubbs Creek following Charlotte Creek until he passed Charlotte Dome. That is the route Oleander referred to in the 2nd post of this thread. I doubt he would have been very far west of Charlotte Creek because it is too steep, and highly doubtful he would be near Glacier Monument.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Meanstay,

Welcome to HST! Hoping for the best out come for you brother in law!

Would also recommend checking the King Col area, he may have tried to
descend Gardiner Creek and found it to steep, it gets class 2-3 quickly before
even getting to the crux down near Mist Falls, and then may have tired using
King Col as an alternative exit point.
Some of us do not like exiting the same route as we used in entering an area.
King Col though easier than Gardiner Creek is not the easiest class 2, and
footing is very important because of the loose marble like rocks at the top of
the pass.

Would be helpful if you could tell us about Gregory's experience level, and style
of hiking. Here is a form we ask people to fill out before asking for route advice,
some of the answer to these questions would be helpful in getting some insight
of his experience. http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... f=1&t=4205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Hi everyone,
Mav, as usual, thanks for staying on top of this. I'll add a few comments and then another compact timeline that might help SAR to focus on specific locations.

1) When I got home last night there were 2 messages from rangers seeking information. I gave a trip timeline and pointed out that I'd seen footprints over Gardiner Pass on Thursday morning. Since the rains that lasted from early Monday morning until ~7-8am on Tuesday wiped the slate clean, these footprints had to have been made between Tuesday morning and Thursday morning. More on this below. The point here is that I took solace from the fact that the rangers had accessed my wilderness permit itinerary and were seeking input.
2) Aside from the south side of Gardiner Pass, water levels were good throughout Gardiner basin. If Greg is injured somewhere in the basin, but was able to reach water, he should be hanging in there.
3) I hiked up Gardiner Creek 35 years ago and at that time there was a use trail that made the going almost tolerable. From seeing the current state of the use trail in the upper basin, I have to assume that the use trail is all but non-existent. Thus, I concur with Mav's guess that a prime area to cover is lower Gardiner Creek.

Here are my inferences about where Greg may have gotten to based on the fact we did not see him, even though he should have been in the same canyon branch as we were for at least a period of time:

From Tuesday morning (~9am departure), when my hiking buddy and I passed down (from Lake 11407) through the main part of Gardiner Basin on our way into the branch that leads to Gardiner Pass, we did not see another hiker. However, I assume that Greg did not get over Gardiner Pass on his first day (Sunday). After all, it's a >>6,000 ft climb with much of it off trail. In this case, it also means that he got caught in the continuous storm blasts that persisted from ~3am on Monday till ~7am on Tuesday. It was a wild storm with plenty of lightning, and I doubt anyone would aim for a pass on a day like that. Tuesday morning's weather was somewhat dubious, but with intense tent fever, my buddy and I packed up, and descended along Gardiner Creek until we bottomed out at ~9,100 ft at which time we headed up the canyon branch that leads to Gardiner Pass. We continued to the little lake at ~10,080 ft and camped on the north side of the lake (far from where the meager remnants of the use trail run). We did not see or hear anyone on the entire ascent to this lake. However, because the use trail is hard to follow, we often just chose our own path. Thus, it's possible that Greg passed us without us spotting him. At the same time, it is pretty clear from Gardiner Pass that the further down the basin you go, the less inviting are the lakes in the canyon immediately beneath the pass. Thus, unless Greg was hell bent on fishing, he might have aimed for one of the higher lakes immediately below the pass. Another reason to do this is that the weather was threatening all day Tuesday, and if he did not want to risk getting stuck in another deluge, he might have pulled up early. We were certainly walking with one eye on the trail and the other on the skies. If Greg stayed at one of the lakes just below Gardiner Pass, we definitely would have missed him, because on Wednesday morning the weather broke clear and we headed directly up the hillside to the lake at ~10,800 ft (the penultimate, good-sized lake in this arm of the canyon). Because the use trail had been touch and go, it was much easier just carving our own path. But, if Greg had been camping at one of the pair of lakes almost directly below the pass (or, if we'd missed him the day before), our route ensured that we would miss him. Thus, it's my guess that he either passed by us as we were up-climbing on Tuesday, or we missed him Wednesday morning, because he was camped below the pass, and we circumvented the normal route.
Regardless, here's hoping the folks on the ground find him soon!
Cameron
Last edited by cgundersen on Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Great Cameron, thank you for taking the time to include this additional
information!

Was PM-ing back and forth with SEKI PA yesterday, they will be checking
the boards for any relevant information, forward it to SAR, and update us
daily.

If anyone was at Charlotte Lake or hiking up or down Bubb's Creek August
10-17, and ran into Gregory (even if you did not talk to him), please
chime in or call the SEKI numbers listed above, it could help with developing
a timeline.