Search Underway for Missing Hikers in Kings Canyon NP

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
mgeis
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Search Underway for Missing Hikers in Kings Canyon NP

Post by mgeis »

@sssdave, your speculation makes perfect sense. I saw them at the lakes at about 2, not moving quickly. Assume hitting the pass at 4, plenty of time for snow to cover the trail. The countours the trail follows are easy enough to figure out as you head north past the two tarns, but after that, it'd be very easy to drop into Charlotte Lake basin (there's a pancake-flat section between the last tarn and the trail out to Kearsarge Pass where it would just totally vanish).
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

mgeis wrote: The countours the trail follows are easy enough to figure out as you head north past the two tarns, but after that, it'd be very easy to drop into Charlotte Lake basin (there's a pancake-flat section between the last tarn and the trail out to Kearsarge Pass where it would just totally vanish).
Would this be a good place for some ducks?

Andy
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Jimr »

I think it's a case for knowing how to use your map, gps, whatever you use.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

And the ducks most likely would not have made any difference in the snow.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
acorad
Topix Regular

Post by acorad »

maverick wrote:And the ducks most likely would not have made any difference in the snow.
I thought that's when they are their most useful?

Of course, if the snow is deep enough to completely cover them then they aren't useful at all...

Agreed about map, gps, etc.

Andy
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Of course, if the snow is deep enough to completely cover them then
they aren't useful at all...
They do not need to be covered, as long as their shapes are distorted, and
a hiker cannot tell what the are, they are useless.
Also, you need only a small amount of snow on the trail for it become a
cross-country route, which could disorient a hiker who is only comfortable
with trail hiking.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Ya that's the spot I was thinking of too, the big flat sandy area near the Charlotte Lake junction, where the trail might be tough to follow in the snow. Still odd that they were found in "rough terrain" near Charlotte Lake, it's not exactly a complex area right there.

Matt, sounds like you took about the same amount of time as I did last year, we finished at 15 hours on the minute. Of course, it was a little easier when it was dry and warm :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The lesson from this adventure: is to stay put if lost, survival basis's 101, near the trail
if possible or a popular area, and wait for help.
Continuing on makes things more difficult for SAR to find you, plus getting lost and
continuing on puts you in unfamiliar territory, and a highly dangerous environment
which may have grave consequences.

giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

It's a relief to hear that this one had a happy ending. We have a few too many sad endings of the past few years. I had a sinking feeling about the high country when that storm rolled in and that sinking feeling got worse after I saw the missing hikers report. Great job as always by the SAR folks and those that helped them.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
longri
Topix Fanatic

Post by longri »

None of you guys have ever gotten "temporarily disoriented" due to poor judgement? It's happened to me, more than once. I've even been benighted because of that. Snow could be a factor if you're expecting a nice trail to follow. But people on dry trails misread signs all the time. Isn't that junction area one of those places where the signs are a little confusing?

As far as ducks go, you can't count on them. Snow could cover them of course. But aside from that, it turns out that some people like to kick them over.

I wonder what their story really is. We're just guessing.