Search Underway for Missing Hikers in Kings Canyon NP

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
mgeis
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Re: Search Underway for Missing Hikers in Kings Canyon NP

Post by mgeis »

I was up there this weekend, and did the Rae Lakes Loop on Saturday (from Roads End, counter-clockwise). I'm 90% sure this is the couple we saw at about 2pm, above Rae Lakes, heading up Glen Pass. They indicated they were going to get to the top and go from there. The snow was starting to come down at that point.

The location/time matches what I'd guess their timeline to be, and doing the whole loop I saw pretty much every "clockwise" hiker that day.

I phoned the rangers just now with that info and learned that they have been located, and are both safe, but need some help getting out (so, they're still out there, probably worse for the wear, but ok). There was no info about where exactly they were located, and I didn't push for that info.

At about 1pm at the top of Glen Pass, there was no snow (but we knew it would come soon). An hour later at 11k it started coming down lightly, but regularly, and after that there was snow all the way down to 9000'.

Matt
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Shawn »

Matt -

That's great news. Thanks for posting the info and taking action.

Shawn

PS. Welcome to HST
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks Matt for this info and your PM, great first post by bringing us this
good news! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

Nice!
http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Much thanks to all SAR heroes!

Fine looking young couple. Our hearts go out for your safe return.

JohnS
Topix Acquainted

Post by JohnS »

Another hiker had taken their picture during the trip. Sequoia and Kings Canyon NP posted it on their Facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sequoia- ... 8212106571" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fox5 in San Diego reports the couple and rescue teams will be walking down the mountain Thursday morning. Good news for all.

John
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

Overdue Hikers Found

Searchers located two missing hikers in a remote area of Kings Canyon National Park late in the afternoon on Wednesday, Oct. 1. Rommel and Marisol Pompa are in good condition. Five rescuers assisted the couple Wednesday evening and will hike out with them on Thursday, Oct. 2.

The Pompas’ wilderness permit indicated they planned to hike the Rae Lakes Loop, departing from Cedar Grove on Sept. 25 via the Woods Creek trail and returning Sept. 29 on the Bubbs Creek trail. Information from other hikers helped to focus the search area. The Charlotte Creek drainage, where searchers found them, is within the area of their intended route. In addition to teams on foot, searchers used the park helicopter and horse patrols.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

Speculating, reads like they visually lost the trail south of Glen Pass due to new snow cover, didn't use a topographic map if they had one, then simply walked down the drainage in front of them. That would bring them beside Charlotte Lake which was probably deserted considering the storm and then down the very gradual Charlotte Creek meadows beyond which would certainly be empty. If they had continued down where the valley drops off into the Bubbs Creek, they would have gotten stuck negotiating an increasingly steep and narrowing gorge.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.77605,-118.44437&z=14&t=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A couple of us backpacked down that in the late 90s and even in summer it is a quite difficult effort requiring close attention to the topo which is one of the USGS maps in meters and thus deceptively steeper than it appears. The creek bed itself is often too rugged to get near so one must traverse up on steep often brushy slopes. Climbers use the route to reach Charlotte Dome.

The wise decision with a fall storm possible if one had reached Rae Lakes in such a situation would be to reverse, going back down the Woods Creek Trail where the elevation decreases as one would with certainty drop below the snow line. There have been previous scenarios in the past where groups stubbornly gamble going back over high passes often the Sierra Crest in order to reach their vehicles at Eastern Sierra trailheads. The wiser tact if one in fact does not know what the weather holds is to simply descend lower to a western trailhead. Sometimes these fall storms last more than just a couple days when the Jetstream keeps pushing troughs along.
limpingcrab
Topix Regular

Post by limpingcrab »

Matt (mgeis),

Any chance you were napping in your car at the trailhead Friday night? A friend and I were there also, planning a climb on saturday, but we left after being rained on that night.

When I got up to relieve myself I saw someone leaving very early in running shorts and guessed there was a loop in a day person. Just curious if that was you and if you had a good time in spite of the weather? Small world!

-Daniel
mgeis
Topix Newbie

Post by mgeis »

Daniel -- that was my partners sleeping in the truck! Small world! It's certainly one of us you would have seen in running gear (small packs, headlamps, etc.).

I was off in a small tent behind the rock near the bear boxes. Fortunately, one of my partners talked me into using her tent instead of cowboy camping as I'd intended! We were up at 4, hit the trail at 5:15. Weather was cooperative until 2 (at the top of the pass it was clear, but an hour later at the lakes it was snowing).

Our plan was to run as much as we could on the 24 or so downhill miles, but the terrain is not easily runnable. I had a minor altitude headache, so while fast hiking felt fine, the jarring act of running did not (at least not until I'd dropped down to 9000'). We had a lot of fun, and I wrapped up my day at 9. Spent a cold 90 minutes waiting for my partners to come in, breaking up the monotony with some push-ups and squats to stay warm. Actually got some running in during the last 15 miles, but wow, taking that trail quickly in the dark takes a level head.

I was reminded of the following:

1. Don't go too fast. There's always going to be a rock waiting to ambush you, or worse, a hairpin turn (there was one on some slick rock next to Woods Creek where the trail went right 90 degrees behind a boulder, and the trajectory straight ahead would have sent me over a cliff into the creek and onto the rocks below).

2. If you think you've lost the trail, you probably have. Again, there was a slick rock part just north of Mist Falls where the trail felt like it went to the right, but in reality it did a 180-degree hairpin to the left. I saw some stuff that looked like **maybe** it was the trail, but knew better and backtracked to solve that puzzle over again.

Those are a couple lessons I learned hiking the PCT in 2002, and I'm glad to see they stuck with me.