HELP FIND ACHILLES THE DOG

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

HELP FIND ACHILLES THE DOG

Post by Shawn »

This post is intended to make you aware of a dog that went missing after an automobile accident along SR120. The thinking that perhaps someone here may be hiking or climbing in the area over the winter and see the dog. Clearly the odds are long, but that's what most people thought until the dog was seen earlier this month after more than a month and a half being out in the cold.

So it occurred to me that raising awareness of the dogs' plight couldn't hurt by posting the information here, among like minded souls that enjoy the outdoors.

Please have a look at the attachment.

Thanks very kindly,

Shawn
Attachments
HELP FIND ACHILLES THE DOG.pdf
(316.39 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: HELP FIND ACHILLES THE DOG

Post by maverick »

Shawn,

Interesting that Achilles has been in the area for almost 2 months, probably searching for owners, would check at lower elevation areas after the recent storms, hopefully he was forced down to lower elevations near Whoa Nellie Deli, Mono Visitor Center, or even Lee Vining/395 corridor. If lived closer, would drive up, and would take a dog whistle into the area to see if Achilles would respond to it.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

If i'm not mistaken by reading this story: http://www.kgun9.com/news/swfl-mans-dog ... sday-night

looks like the dog was found.. Mr. Chilli aka, Achilles the dog..
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

So, I guess the dog was found back in Nov, but the PDF link Shawn posted has Dec 24th at the top?

FB on the 11/11:
UPDATE: A MONO COUNTY DEPUTY BELIEVES HE HAS FOUND ACHILLES. HE HAS BEEN TRYING TO CATCH HIM FOR SEVERAL HOURS. IF ANYONE IN THE AREA IS ABLE AND WILLING TO HELP, PLEASE CALL JB AT 239-633-0365. THANK YOU ALL FOR THE HELP, LOVE AND SUPPORT THE LAST MONTH! I'LL POST AN UPDATE WHEN HE'S BEEN CAUGHT!

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

can't believe everything posted on the Internet. :D

Could call that number in the FB post.. ?

EDIT: I called just now. Dog not found yet. :(
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

EDIT: I called just now. Dog not found yet. :(
What kind of mind takes the time to post a fake story. :\

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

The news people said found, not me (ok, maybe i repeated it). "Found" is different from recovered.

I did talk to the owner, so if anyone is out there at this time of year, look. Say things like "go for a ride" and smell of steak.

who is in position to look there near the lower campsites and outflow?
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

Well with the many dozens of ideas posted to Mr. Chili's FB page, no one that I've seen has suggested the idea of a simple dog whistle. That could just be the trick.

That deputy seeing Mr. Chili was the first verified sighting after the accident. Then on 12/4/15 a hiker saw the dog "near the last paved turnout on SR120 before the horseshoe turn", as noted on the attached map. The dog was observed coming up the hill from the south, then proceeding across the road and up the embankment to the north.

The owners and various "dog experts" believe that the dog is in "survival mode" and consequently won't even come out to the owners voice, smell of clothing, etc., etc. JB and his girlfriend have been camped out for many days and nights along SR120 at key locations with no luck to date. They've also placed game cameras, set out food and other tricks to no avail.

Given all of the above efforts, I tend to believe that the dog is hunkered down, somewhere out of the weather as Mav suggests. For example, the accident location was in close proximity to the road that leads down to the power station. The dog was last seen on SR120 just above the power station. I have yet to see where anyone has looked around the power station (perhaps, but I haven't seen it). Thus, My "theory" is that the dog is making his home in some relative warmth near the power station and going out as needed for food and water, returning to a location which is out of hearing or visual distance of those looking for him.

I'm a long way from there, but half tempted to get in the Jeep and go look for myself.
Attachments
detail.jpg
Overview.jpg