Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Brien
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Post by Brien »

I'm optimistic he'll be found ok. Let's not forget the older lady who was lost in the Sierra Nevada last year for 9-days with a broken leg and virtually no supplies.
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Missing Hiker - Loch Leven Lakes - Placer County

Post by fishwrong »

I just found out an friend's son is missing. Only information I have is from the KCRA news report. With some information below.

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/new ... r/39590994

Cody Michael left home to go camping with his German Shepherd along the Loch Leven trail in Placer County Sunday, but didn’t return home as planned Monday.

Search teams with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office combed the trail and nearby areas for any signs of the hiker Tuesday. His silver SUV remained parked in the same spot where he left it Sunday.

Deputies said Michael is an outdoorsman and in good health.

“He definitely was prepared for coming out here for camping. He had the right equipment, he had warm clothing, a tent, a sleeping bag. His dog even had boots on him, and a little vest for his dog,” Sergeant Ty Conners with the Placer County Sheriff’s Office said.

Michael’s parents received a photo via text on Sunday, showing him at the entrance of the trail with his dog. The following day would be the last time they heard from him.

If anyone on the board was in the area (HWY 80 near Donner Summit), or has information, please contact the Placer County Sheriff's office. I'm posting this message here and on the Backpacking Page. If there is another, better place to post, please let me know. Please spread the word and hold good thoughts.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing Hiker - Loch Leven Lakes - Placer County

Post by Vaca Russ »

Fishwrong,

Yes, I have been following this story. I hope he is found soon. He should be in good condition.

This thread should be moved. I will ask Maverick to move it to a place more appropriate than the fishing hole.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Fishwrong,

Hope your friends son is found soon. Have posted this on several outdoor forums, please keep us updated.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Post by fishwrong »

Thank you to all. I wasn't sure where to post it, so I put it in the places I look most often, and didn't see this thread previously. It's good to know folks were already aware of it. Thank you for spreading the word.
schmalz
Topix Expert

Post by schmalz »

http://CaliTrails.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://facebook.com/calitrails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fishwrong
Topix Regular

Post by fishwrong »

Thank you for the facebook update with video of his last location.

I haven't hiked this area, but am trying to get a reference. Video was Monday morning and the shadow off the pot make me think his orientation was sitting and facing east / southeast. The background looks like the terrain is higher in the facing direction and may fall off downhill to the north and the south. I'm guessing about that, so if someone else knows better, please chime in. If anyone is familiar with the area and recognizes the location, please let Placer County know.

Thank you.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I haven't hiked this area, but am trying to get a reference. Video was Monday morning and the shadow off the pot make me think his orientation was sitting and facing east / southeast. The background looks like the terrain is higher in the facing direction and may fall off downhill to the north and the south. I'm guessing about that, so if someone else knows better, please chime in. If anyone is familiar with the area and recognizes the location, please let Placer County know.
Have not been there in ages, but even if I had, this video clip just doesn't give much info. Agree that the shadows off the stove and the tree, at .28, are due northwest, and there seems to be water movement in the background at .29, which could be more telling if the video clip had more detail, it could have been taken near an inlet/outlet creek of one of the Loch Leven Lakes.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

If anyone has any pictures/videos taken during early season of the Loch Leven Lakes area, they could be very useful in narrowing down the possible location this video clip may have been taken.
Your help is appreciated! Thank you

Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

I know it's a long shot, but here's a 360 panorama I shot on my last trip in 2014.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY8-CnPkZhM