Unofficial Search Discussion Thread

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Unofficial Search Discussion Thread

Post by Hobbes »

When I'm out hiking, I send breadcrumbs to my wife from my DeLorme on the hour. When I return home, I like to review my route, especially comparing the topo map to my own memories & impressions. So, in my particular case with the DL, no, I've never noticed the GPS tracking to be anything but accurate. I have no idea how SPOT compares.

As a PSA, it should also be noted that you can get extremely accurate weathers report based on your GPS coordinates sent to the DeLorme. (It's one of the advantages of having a 2-way communications device - request & receive or notify & confirm.) It's now part of the firmware selections, but Gazelle showed me how to incorporate the weather report request as one of the standard, pre-programmed messages.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

INYO-SEKI SAR / Overdue Hiker Search in Progress Alt Thread

Post by maverick »

This thread was started so everyone can freely discuss whatever is on their mind about the case, openly, without any restrictions of the official thread. Would ask, that you please be mindful that family members and friends of the missing person may read this thread read too.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: INYO-SEKI SAR / Overdue Hiker Search in Progress Alt Thr

Post by freestone »

I have a SPOT and used it on my trip to the Kern Divide last month under a variety of conditions and locations, usually about the same time of day where I was camped for the evening. The accuracy was always accurate and never had issues with getting a satellite link up. As you can see, I sent 2 messages from Anvil Camp- the first and last day of my trip, and 2 messages from a large unnamed lake in a basin below Mount Jordan. Two messages were also sent from an unnamed lake northwest of LSA during a rainstorm. I had weather come in from the southwest on this trip, that was not on the medium range forecast when I began my trip. When I was confronted with this situation, I began my trek east as quickly as possible and was out the next day. I am a hiker in my mid-sixties, but not sure making decisions like this are really age related.

Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I have had a 2nd generation SPOT since 2011 and send "I'm OK" signals every evening, sometimes twice a day. The location has never been off, although there have been times when the signal failed to send.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Keep in mind that he made a choice. Time, Date, Weather. It's a really personal choice and I leave a great record at home for what I'm planning. I also tell her not to alert at least 2 days after she gets no contact (2 days after I say). If this person had contact data, he would be found if on track. probably wasn't. We've seen this before. Hell, I've been up 120 from the closed gate in January East side. It's a choice and its weird but you can get killed (60 MPH winds.) Gonna say it again. Personal choice and inform your family accordingly.

I Applaud his choice. Hope he's found.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

A CalTopo map of the area for reference if needed.
http://caltopo.com/m/0321
LAhiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by LAhiker »

I'm glad to hear that four dog teams from YOSAR have joined the search:
http://www.kolotv.com/content/news/Back ... 05401.html
LAhiker
Topix Acquainted

Post by LAhiker »

Apparently the search for Mr. Woodie was briefly interrupted by bad weather that came in Sunday evening. Only aerial searches were conducted today.
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

I hope that Mr. Woodie is found before the bad weather forecast for this coming weekend again suspends the search.
Steve_C
Topix Acquainted

Post by Steve_C »

We have seen this before... With the time and expense put into such a search, SEKI and Inyo could outfit every group heading into the wilderness with a satellite communicator.

I would advocate that every lone hiker be required to carry and use one. When traveling alone, sending a signal out at least once an hour should be a minimum. I carry a Spot on my shoulder strap when out on little-used trails and off-trail trips. There is no way am I going to be the subject of a long and expensive search.

As for Spot signals (and likely InReach as well), signals go out when there is a satellite in view. In deep canyons, signals don't make it out, and sometimes send inaccurate locations. My Spot doesn't work around Vernal Falls, at Whitney Portal and just above, and along Bubbs Creek in some sections. I think InReach would be more reliable, as it searches for a satellite signal, while Spot just blindly sends out signals. I'm about to get the InReach for two-way texting capabilities.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Steve, the DeLorme rocks; your wife will really enjoy both receiving & sending messages.

Regardless of specific device, IMO breadcrumbs are the key feature. HST had two trip reports this past summer from hikers who fell and hit their head. The PLB doesn't help if you're unable to send a distress signal. (Both cases were resolved ok, but still ...)

Since I leave an itinerary with my wife, she knows my general daily start/stop points. If a breadcrumb marker was stationary in a place that should only be traversed, her suspicion would be raised. If I didn't make contact that evening, or she couldn't get hold of me, then she could be fairly certain something had happened.

The last breadcrumb broadcast would be the obvious first place for SAR to look.